* Changing the aspect ratio of a .pdf diagram

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rlparsons
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Changing the aspect ratio of a .pdf diagram

Post by rlparsons »

I have generated a diagram containing the individuals I selected and am happy with it. I saved it as a .pdf page and wish to print it onto an A3 sheet but am having great difficulty in finding how to change the aspect ratio. I wish to increase the depth of the diagram whilst maintaning the width, in order to better utilise the sheet size.
Is there a simple way to do this? I have played with lots of settings without success so far, starting with the scaling option but that maintains the same aspect ratio, for instance
I have not been able to locate anything in the Knowledge Base or F.A.Q's. so any help would be appreciated.
Rozza
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Changing the aspect ratio of a .pdf diagram

Post by tatewise »

There is no simple way to do that, i.e. you cannot simply tell FH to best fit the Diagram into an A3 aspect ratio.

With the Diagram displayed you need to look at various Diagram > Options.
On General tab try changing Orientation from Top-down to Left-right.
On Dimensions tab try changing some box dimensions so they are wider or reduce the Between dimensions.

Another tool is Diagram > Enable Moving/Resizing that allows branches to be moved so they fit better.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

I would go with Mike's suggestion.

Alternative:
- double (or as required) the diagram zoom
(https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13535)
- Diagram > save as > a png image > Whole diagram
- then most image editors (e.g. Irfanview) will be able to change aspect ratio (e.g. Canvass > resize > crop).
Downsides:
- possible loss in clarity (unless original has high dpi)
- as no longer a pdf would not be searchable
- most likely much larger file size.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
rlparsons
Platinum

Post by rlparsons »

Thanks folks. I'm slowly learning a lot about diagrams! However, I have not yet cracked it.
I've modified various parameters and e.g. changed box sizes etc. and improved it somewhat but then met my next roadblock! To change the text font I went to Diagrams > Options > Text > Edit and changed "Initial Font" hoping to get text to better fit the increased box sizes. Unfortunately it only changes the Name text. The rest remains as before.
It appears I need to Edit the Text Scheme and that's where I realise I am at one of my roadblocks.
Can anyone point me to simple instructions on how to "Edit a Text Scheme", please? I know "where" to do it but not "how"
Thanks
Perhaps I should post this under a new heading. Tatewise did give me a bit of a starter on an earlier posting but I was still floored!
rlparsons
Platinum

Post by rlparsons »

I must apologise!
I have just gone into the FAQ's and on a search on this item, looks like there is a lot of discussion in there on text schemes which I need to wade through and also to go back to "Getting the most from ..." . Something I should have done much sooner! I just got carried away in my enthusiasm to "get it done" and it is only now that I realise the relevance of text schemes to my needs!
Many thanks anyway. I'll come back if I am still bogged down.
Rozza
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See Custom Text Scheme (17662) that deals with changing Text Scheme character fonts.
rlparsons
Platinum

Post by rlparsons »

Thanks Mike.
I did wade through lots of info, including the one you pointed to, and am now fairly happy with my understanding of this subject. However there is one item I am still stuck on.
The way the layout, text schemes etc are handled seem to depend on the Box Type they are going into, and I am happy what the five types are and how to edit their content, format etc. What I can't find is how/where a box is "classified" (Ancestor, Spouse) etc. Is it automatically classified by its position on the diagram in some way? Derived from individual's field entries? Can it be changed?
Hopefully - last question. I'm getting there!
Rozza
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Box Type is derived dynamically from its position in the Diagram tree, and there are actually six types.
See Diagram > Options > Boxes > Box Type that has six tabs.

The most obvious is the white Root type, which is the Diagram Root box (or boxes for a couple).

For an explanation of the other five, see FH Help > Search Help and enter "Box Types" including the quotes.
Click List Topics and then Box Types.

Text Scheme Items choose what they display in each Box Type according to their settings lower left.