|Default Surname when adding children & parents
The overall requirement is to be able to offer a wider range of "default surname" on "Add Child" and on "Add a parent". It has two features:
This offers more functionality to existing users (in patrilineal families) and to a wider range of potential users (in non-patrilineal families or families where the surname does not follow patrilineal practice).
The current option is controlled by a checkbox
Current Control of surnaming
A. Basic Changes - to enable others
1. If the current behaviour is changed to a pull-down list, the current options would be:
2. If this behaviour can be set at family level we can then potentially handle the situation when an individual marries into a family with different surnaming practices. So for instance whilst most of a project follows the Patrilineal convention descendents of that couple might follow a different convention (so we would have to use option "None" under current choices). This could be implemented by a control on the Property Box / Focus Window between the parents and the children that contains the pull-down list detailed in (1) above - but applying to just that couple and its descendants. The choice could be held in a FH specific system variable ("_SURNAMING"?) held on the Family Record. This choice would be "inherited" by subsequent new families (up or down the generations).
3. Bi-directional. In V7 If Patrilineal is specified, when we create a father, the father's surname should default to that of his first child. For other possible options (see below) it may also be possible to define other "back in time" defaults for parents subsequently entered.
B. Options then available
We can then consider other options. For instance:
1. Repeat. A useful first step extra option could be:
Add another option
The programming logic is very similar to the existing patrilineal option and would mean that for matrilineal families FH could default to the behaviour they want rather than none or the one they don't want.
If Bi-directional is implemented, selecting Matrilineal means when we create a mother, the mother's surname defaults to that of her first child.
3. Handling Illegitimacy in Patrilineal Cultures
Add another option
|Saturday 3rd June 2023
|Wednesday 3rd January 2024
Only Signed in FHUG users can vote, please go to the Forum and sign in.