FHU Mailing List
This list will be taking over from the RootsWeb list. Please see Groups.io/Family-Historian for more information.
The Announcement from FHU
Posted by Simon Orde - 28th January 2020
As you may already know, RootsWeb (the people who host this mailing list) have announced that they will be discontinuing all mailing lists from March 2nd. Although this list has been a little quiet recently, it is well-subscribed and we believe that it offers something of value which should continue. Also, as again you may already know, Family Historian 7 is coming soon, and from past experience, there is ordinarily an increase in posts from users when a new version is released; so we wanted to be sure that we have a good replacement in place, in time for that. And we have found one.
The replacement for the mailing list is a 'group' (that's what they call them) that we have created, at Groups.io. The new group is called 'Family Historian', and we would like to invite you all to become members of it - preferably right now! Groups are very similar to mailing lists. Members receive all emails sent to the group and can post messages to the group. But there are numerous ways in which groups are superior to the old mailing lists. For one thing, you easily browse posts online in a web-browser, with convenient layout, filtering and search options.
To become a member of the new group, please go to https://groups.io/g/family-historian and click the "Join This Group" button (or the "login if you are already a member" button if applicable).
When you have a Groups.io account, you will be able to subscribe not just to the Family Historian group, but to any of their other groups that interest you. Some other genealogy mailing lists are also moving to Groups.io.
We will shortly be sending out direct invitations to you all by email, to join the 'Family Historian' group at Groups.io. Please ignore these if you have already joined, or if you don't want to.
As an incentive to move to the group, I will shortly be posting some updates there on the progress of Family Historian 7. Hope to see you there!
Simon Orde Calico Pie
Recent Posts on groups.io Family Historian
- Re: Census Flags on Diagrams (Box Conditions) for missing entries by qgenesist@... (Ron Unknown) (2020/02/25 14:32)
- Re: Census Flags on Diagrams (Box Conditions) for missing entries by post@... (Mike Tate) (2020/02/25 13:59)
- Census Flags on Diagrams (Box Conditions) for missing entries by gladtobegrey@... (2020/02/25 10:17)
- Re: Unable to open file and file not found FH6.2 by pauline.mitchell88@... (leelegs) (2020/02/24 10:58)
- Re: Add GRO Source by sdcann@... (SDCann) (2020/02/24 09:42)
- Re: Add GRO Source by westbeckham@... (Tom Beckham) (2020/02/23 23:11)
- Re: Unable to open file and file not found FH6.2 by post@... (Mike Tate) (2020/02/23 18:18)
- Re: About pre-1850 U.S. Census Entries by post@... (Mike Tate) (2020/02/23 18:06)
- Re: Add GRO Source by victor@... (Victor Markham) (2020/02/23 17:59)
- Re: Add GRO Source by john.hanson@... (John Hanson) (2020/02/23 17:52)
- Re: Add GRO Source by victor@... (Victor Markham) (2020/02/23 17:45)
- Re: Add GRO Source by trevor@... (Trevor Rix) (2020/02/23 16:29)
- Unable to open file and file not found FH6.2 by pauline.mitchell88@... (leelegs) (2020/02/23 16:01)
- Re: Add GRO Source by post@... (Mike Tate) (2020/02/22 10:08)
- Re: Add GRO Source by sheila@... (Sheila Bryant) (2020/02/22 09:59)
- Re: Add GRO Source by sdcann@... (SDCann) (2020/02/21 22:23)
- Re: Diagram > Boxes > Conditions by David.potter5@... (David Potter) (2020/02/21 17:16)
- Re: Diagram > Boxes > Conditions by post@... (Mike Tate) (2020/02/21 17:07)
- Diagram > Boxes > Conditions by David.potter5@... (David Potter) (2020/02/21 16:54)
- Re: Problems with OneDrive replication by john@... (2020/02/21 13:59)
FHU (RootsWeb) List Closing
The FHU list is part of the RootsWeb family of lists operated by Ancestry and will be closing down on the 1st March 2020.
Below is the RootsWeb Announcement:
Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state.
Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb.
As an alternative to RootsWeb Mailing Lists, Ancestry message boards are a great option to network with others in the genealogy community. Message boards are available for free with an Ancestry registered account.
Thank you for being part of the RootsWeb family and contributing to this community.
Sincerely, The RootsWeb team
Weekly Summary From FHUG
For some time we have been sending a weekly summary of postings from FHUG to the FHU list. When the list ends in order for people to continue to receive the weekly summary we have added the option to the Users control panel to receive the weekly summary directly.
Please see Weekly Bulletin for more information.
The [FHU] Mailing List is a public mailing and all users and potential users are free and welcome to join. They are a friendly group of people there to help, and the program's author drops by about once a week. The [FHU] Mailing List is separate from this site and is managed by Simon Orde of Calico Pie Limited, not the admin for this site. Please note in common with all other mailing lists, once subscribed you will receive ALL messages sent to the list, not only replies to your own messages.
The List Archive
Please see the archive at: Rootsweb
Joining and Leaving the List
- The main form of the list is single message Mail mode. You will receive a copy of every message posted to the list as a single E-mail. This is sent out almost immediately. Mail mode may be shown as email@example.com.
To join Mail mode FAMILY-HISTORIAN-USERS-L, send E-mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the single word subscribe in the message subject and body.
To leave FAMILY-HISTORIAN-USERS-L or FAMILY-HISTORIAN-USERS-D, send mail to
email@example.com with the single word unsubscribe in the message subject and body.
For questions about this list, contact the list administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can messages be sent to the list if I have not been subscribed?
The short answer is NO!. This is to protect you from spam, nuisances, etc. However, the list is not moderated. Any message sent to it is automatically distributed to everyone on the list.
The list is quiet - I haven't received any messages for 24 hours
If you find that you have not received a message via the list for 24 hours, you may have been unsubscribed. The Rootsweb list computer will automatically unsubscribe you after a certain number of messages have bounced from your E-mail address. If you think this has happened to you, then just SUBSCRIBE again.
What do I need to do if I change my E-mail address?
I'm going on holiday - should I unsubscribe?
If you are going to be away for a while, and will not be able to download mail, then you are advised to UNSUBSCRIBE from the list before you go, and SUBSCRIBE again when you return. On your return you may wish to catch up on messages by searching the list archive.