Family Tree ~ Tips and Tricks and Popups
This section explains additional techniques that can be used to enhance your Family Tree website or CD/DVD. Some are quite straightforward, but others are only recommended for more experienced users.
HTML Tips and Tricks
A particular snag is that Family Historian V3 & V4 produce poorly formatted HTML, which is awkward to edit with a plain text editor. The Recommended Support Tools section suggests some useful free HTML Tidy utilities.
Family Historian V5 & V6 produce much tidier HTML files and uses a Cascading Style Sheet CSS file.
- Adjust Index of Names ~ Add Alternate Names and Married Women Names to the Index of Names page.
- Set Page Background ~ Set a background image or an alternative colour to white on every page.
- Alter CSS Default Styles ~ Define alternative font face or colour and other styles on every page.
- Diagram Hyperlinks PDF ~ Create a PDF Diagram with a Hyperlink per Box that links to a featured Individual page.
- Text Field URL Hyperlinks ~ Convert all Text Field URL into Hyperlinks that open in a new web page.
- Multimedia Image Popups ~ Convert all Multimedia images into thumbnails that popup a full-size image.
- Automatic Batch Processing ~ Automate the process of performing the above two HTML conversions.
- Recommended Support Tools ~ Software utilities that assist with these tips and tricks.
All the features described here, together with a few others, are illustrated on the TATE & SCOTT Family Tree website.
CD/DVD Tips and Tricks
Sometimes a Family Tree CD/DVD will not open correctly, so here are a few workarounds.