Family Tree Tips ~ Recommended Support Tools
Here are the references and notes to some suitable software support tools.
HTML Kit 292
If you ever need to edit HTML or CSS files, then this free utility is extremely useful.
Google Search for HTML Kit 292 to reach http://www.htmlkit.com/ web page
Click on Get Previous Version (free) and Download HTML-Kit 292 to obtain HKSetup.exe.
However, this utility does not support automated batch tidying of a folder full of HTML files.
To batch tidy the Family Historian V3/V4 folder full of HTML files needs this free utility.
Google Search for Is there a way to batch process HTML files using HTML Tidy to reach
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/faq/pages/tidy_batch_process.html then scroll down to
command-line version of HTML Tidy and download tidy_cmdline.zip that unpacks to tidy.exe.
This does not need to be installed and runs in Windows Command Prompt mode.
To run HTML Tidy type something like "C:\Program Files\Chami\tidy.exe" -h and press Enter.
Where "C:\Program Files\Chami\tidy.exe" is the path to the utility and -h will list all the commands.
See the Batch HTML Tidy section for running it in automated batch mode.
An extremely powerful tool for automating applications, performing edits, and creating GUI windows.
Google Search for AutoHotkey to reach http://www.autohotkey.com web page
then click Download AutoHotkey to obtain AutoHotkey_L_Install.exe.
Alternatively, Google Search for Installer for AutoHotkey Basic to reach
http://autohotkey-tutorials.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/installer-for-autohotkey-basic.html web page
then click Download to obtain AutoHotkeyInstall.exe.
This free utility supports the following features:
- As its name implies it lets hotkeys such as Alt+X or Ctlr+M automate almost anything on a PC.
- Expands abbreviations as you type them. For example, typing "btw" could produce "by the way".
- Remaps keys and buttons on your keyboard, joystick, and mouse.
- Responds to signals from hand-held remote controls.
- Supports read, write, parse, copy, move & delete file and folder operations.
- Provides text string manipulation including Regular Expression editing.
- Emulates keyboard keys and mouse clicks to run most applications automatically.
- Creates custom data-entry forms, user interfaces, and menu bars. See GUI for details.
- Displays dialog boxes, tooltips, balloon tips, and popup menus to interact with the user.
- Converts any script to an EXE file that runs on computers without AutoHotkey installed.
- and much, much more …
Quick Search and Replace
This is an alternative to the PSPad Editor.
Google Search for Quick Search and Replace 1.0 Free to reach
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/Quick-Search-and-Replace.shtml web page
then take care to only download and install qsearchreplace.exe.