This is an old revision of the document!
For lots of alternative documentation on Family Historian (ƒh) please see:
If you are new to Family Historian (ƒh) then this is where you should begin.
Using Photos and Other Media
Recording Facts and Sources
- Adding Birth, Marriage, and Death Information All versions
- Using Source Records All versions
- Automatic Source Citation V3 and above
- Recording from a Birth Certificate All versions
- Recording a Marriage/Civil Partnership All versions
- Recording from a Census Record All versions
- Finding Records linked to a Source All versions
Adjusting Family Relationships
- Recording Children for Multiple Partnerships V3 and above
- Recording Children with Foster/Adoptive Parents All versions
- Recording Grandchildren when Parents not known All versions
- Changing Relations V3 and above
- Correcting Duplicate Spouses/Families All versions
- Removing Unwanted Relations V4 and above
- How to Handle People With Multiple Names All versions
- Sorting Children, Spouses & Facts into Order All versions
Downloading Additional Features
Once you have mastered the basics then these techniques focus on more advanced capabilities, and although grouped under topics, they often involve other related features.
Records & Records Window
- Customise or Print Records Window Columns V3 and above
- Using Named Lists V3 and above
- Delete Any Number of Records V3 and above
- Remember Current Records being Updated V3 and above
- Record Types and Record Id V3 and above
- Finding where Records are used V3 and above
- Formal Database Structure All versions
Diagrams & Charts
Queries & Expressions
- Downloading a Custom Query All versions
- Creating a Query V3 and above
- Find and Mark Twins (How To) V3 and above
- Calculate the length of a marriage (How To) V4 and above
- Use PSPad to Format Functions V3 and above
- Display long text such as Notes All versions
- Sort Fact Query on Owner Surname V5 and above
Export/Import & Backup/Restore
Publish Reports, Books, or Family Trees
- Report Content, Media, Format and Layout V3 and above
- Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates V3 and above, but mostly V6 and above
- Tabulate Multiline Text in Records and Reports V3 and above
- Make a Family Tree CD/DVD or Website V3 and above
- How to Build a Website V3 and above
- Upload Web Pages (How To) V3 and above
In this section advice is presented in a condensed format for experts.
Whether you need to install FH from scratch, or move it with all your projects & settings to a new PC or Mac, then these topics should help.
Importing to Family Historian
If you are new to Family Historian ensure you have the latest version by using Help > Check for Updates.
Explore the topics in the order listed below to repair common residual problems.