Import from Genbox (How To)
Genbox database files (*.gdb) can be imported directly in version 5. For earlier Family Historian versions export from Genbox using gedcom.
Direct Import in V5
- Open the Project Window (File>Open Project Window)
- Select New Project
- Select "Import From Other Family Tree Program
- Press Browse, and navigate to the folder containing your Genbox database and select it.
- Make sure the Import Media is ticked and press Next
- You will then be prompted to name the Project, you can use the existing title or change it and click Next
- Your new Project will then open.
Export Gedcom from Genbox
- Open the file you'd like to export to GEDCOM in Genbox.
- Click on the File menu and move your mouse cursor down to Export Data.
- Click on to GEDCOM File…
- Click the Defaults button.
- Click the Make Export File… button.
- Decide on a location to store your GEDCOM file so that you can easily retrieve it again. A reasonable place to store your file might be your Desktop or My Documents. You can access these by clicking on box next to Save in and scrolling all the way to the top. You will find both the Desktop and My Documents in that list.
- Type a file name next to where it says File name. An example file name would be MyData.ged
- Click Save.
- When the file is finished exporting, it will say Operation Completed.
- Click OK.
- Your file has now been exported and is ready to be used to create a Project or used directly in Family Historian.
- See Understanding Projects for more information on creating Projects from Gedcoms and using the Project window.
Some GenBox users have found that sometimes Gedbox does not correctly export Child links, and FH drops the links on validation. The plugin below uses the Validation report to re-create the dropped links.
To use simply open the Gedcom file and then run the plugin and select and open the Validation report when prompted, a result set will show the recovered individuals.