Family Historian Version 5.0.11
New in 5.0.11
Additional enhancements to the "The Master Genealogist" (TMG) direct import.
New in 5.0.10
Enhancements to the "The Master Genealogist" (TMG) direct import, which can be accessed from the Project window’s New Project button.
- Fixed various bugs in the direct import from TMG databases. E.g. previously source types were being recorded incorrectly for source records. Previously with some recent versions of TMG, the role of a witness was not being recorded correctly in notes for the event or attribute.
Previously the TMG import would fail if you were not logged into Windows with the user account you installed Family Historian under.All these have now been fixed.
- Enhanced the TMG direct import to allow you to choose which dataset to import, if you are importing from a database that contains more than one (if you wish to merge datasets, import both into separate projects, and then use Family Historian to merge the projects).
- Enhanced the TMG direct import to include custom flags (previously only standard flags were included in the import).
- Fixed an obscure bug which could cause a Family Historian project to fail to load if a previous exception file had the read-only attribute set.
New in 5.0.9
- In exceptional circumstances, the last page of an index did not always appear in reports. Now fixed.
- With Emigration and Immigration, both ‘from’ and ‘to’ places now display in the Facts tab of the Property Box, and by default elsewhere (query cells, records window etc). The Diagram Window also now uses the correct defaults when adding emigration and immigration events to text schemes.
- In exceptional circumstances in the Multimedia Window, dragging the vertical bar that separates different panes within the window, could cause the application to lock up. This has been fixed.
- In exceptional circumstances, loading thumbnail images could cause the application to lock up. This has been fixed.
- Some minor changes have been made to PDF-handling to make Family Historian fully compatible with Windows 8.
- Previously when you did a backup, if one of the files to be backed up was locked (because open in another program), the backup would simply fail. Now you are prompted to correct the problem so that the backup can continue.
- Changing the scale of a diagram could cause very slight changes to word-wrapping of lines of text in boxes which should not have happened. This has been fixed.
- If you added a chart to a book, and the book used a different printer to the printer used when laying out the chart, you could get problems with the last line of the text in boxes not displaying. This problem was largely caused because the layout of charts added to books, was being fixed unnecessarily rigidly. This has now been corrected.
- Various improvements have been made when loading GEDCOM files. If the file contains links to records that don’t exist, this is now reported and logged. Family Historian is now even more tolerant than previously of badly-formatted dates, and even more likely to be able to work out what the date should be. If there are more instances of a field type than GEDCOM allows, Family Historian will now automatically convert the additional fields to ‘UDFs’ (unrecognised data fields) by adding a leading underscore to their tags, so that they can be loaded. Family Historian automatically correct errors in GEDCOM files created by other programs. More such ‘automatic corrections’ have been added.
- The ‘No Maximum Size’ setting in Step 7 of the Web or CD/DVD wizards, did not work. This has now been fixed.
- You can now sort the list of plugins in the Plugins Window by clicking on the column headings.
- Pressing Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V did not work when copying and pasting values in fields in the Query Window. Now fixed.
- Fixed an obscure data entry bug which meant that sometimes after adding a citation in the Sources Pane of the Property Box (when floating), the Sources Pane switched to showing the wrong field at the top of the pane.
- The DAY_OF_THE_WEEK qualifier for dates was showing a value for dates where the day was not recorded. It no longer does this.
- The Family Group Sheet report used the labels ‘Husband’ and ‘Wife’ even for same sex partners. Now fixed.
- In All Relative trees, in the Diagram Window, you can now move siblings past the point where an ancestor’s line connects to his parents’ child bar. To do this previously you had to first unhide proxy boxes, and then rehide them.
- Various enhancements have been made to the Family Historian API, for the benefit of plugin writers. Two new functions have been added, for accessing ‘subfields’ within notes: fhGetLabelledText and fhSetLabelledText. A new function fhOverridePreference has been added, which allows you to override the setting of whether surnames should display in upper case or not. The function fhGetPluginDataFileName now takes 2 additional parameters, making it easier to use, and allowing plugin data to be stored on a per-project, per-user, or per-machine basis. The function fhOutputResultSetColumn now takes 2 additional parameters: a parameter to specify the sort type to be used if the column shows ‘item’ data (ignored if it doesn’t); and a ‘hidden’ parameter, that makes the column hidden (useful if you want to sort on a hidden column).
- Various enhancements have been made to the Plugin Editor – again, for the benefit of plugin writers. You can now inspect the contents of tables in the Variables pane of the Plugin Editor when debugging. Also, for each table, the number of elements and array elements is displayed in the Variable Pane. Other improvements have been made to the display of values in the Variable Pane. For example, links are now more clearly distinguished from the records they link to. Also, the Variable Pane now displays ‘up-values’. If you modify a script in any way while debugging, you will be warned and given the opportunity to stop debugging when you next click Go or a Step command. Two new menu commands, “Family Historian API” and “More Resources…”, have been added to the Help menu of the Plugin Editor.
- Various other minor bug fixes have been added.
New in 5.0.8
- This version was never released.
New in 5.0.7
- The ‘Installation Settings’ button in the colour chart window for fan charts did nothing (click on View, then Fan Charts, and then click on the ‘Colours’ button to view this colour chart window). Now fixed.
- The Preferences option to ‘never’ reuse the Multimedia Window was not honoured correctly. Now fixed.
- If you sorted a result set created by a plugin (e.g. by clicking on a column heading) and then selected a record by clicking on a cell in the result set, the wrong record would be selected (e.g. if you viewed it in the Property Box, the wrong record would appear). Now fixed.
- Keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl-R) did not work in the Query Window result set. Now fixed.
- Fixed a bug that occurred if you tried to link a person as spouse in a family record where that family record already contained two same-sex partners.
New in 5.0.6
- Fixed problem with saving free text in Books.
- There was a problem with saving very long expressions when these were used as conditions for box features in Diagram Options, if you tried to save them as diagram defaults. Now fixed.
New in 5.0.5
- Fixed bug in 5.0.4 which could cause line-endings in notes to be lost.
New in 5.0.4
- The “Search the Internet” tool on the Internet menu has been updated to use the latest website data [note: this tool can be updated at any time by using the "Check for new Search The Internet settings" plugin].
- The Plugin Editor now has two new features: ‘Go To Line’ and ‘Inspect Variable’. There have also been minor improvements to the variable pane, including the ability to sort on columns.
- Previous installations were not guaranteed to install all the components that plugins need to run. That has been corrected.
- A bug (introduced in 5.0.2) in the calculation of ‘pools’ which affected the ‘Search for Orphans’ query, has been fixed.
- The ‘Save as Default’ check box in the Diagram Options dialog did not always save settings for all tabs of the Diagram Options dialog. Now fixed.
- Changing the ‘Dotted Line Printing’ option in Diagram Options did not cause the ‘Apply’ button to be ungreyed. Now fixed.
- Scrollbars sometimes failed to cover the full diagram range immediately after a user clicks on ‘Avoid Page Boundaries’. Now fixed.
- In generated websites, captions were truncated at double quotes in popup windows (i.e. when a viewer clicked on a thumbnail image to enlarge it). Now fixed.
- In rare and exceptional circumstances, it was possible to accidentally paste multiple lines of text into certain single-line fields, potentially causing save and load problems. It is no longer possible to do this.
- Backup options were not being correctly greyed on menus when the program is in standalone GEDCOM mode. Now fixed.
- Values of attributes were not being correctly updated in the Facts tab of the Property Box, when these had been updated in a plugin. Now fixed.
New in 5.0.3
- This version was never released.
New in 5.0.2
- In the ‘All Relatives’ diagram, in ‘flat’ style, lines connecting ancestors took a slightly wrong route. Now corrected.
- In Print Preview in some circumstances, it was possible to get parts of the Property Box appearing over the preview window. Now fixed.
- The ‘Copy Page’ feature did not work correctly for Enhanced Metafile Format in reports. Now fixed.
- If you had a huge database (over 200,000 Individuals) it was possible to make Family Historian crash if you ran a query, or used any expression (for example, as a column in the Records Window), that calculated which ‘pool’ each Individual belongs to. Now fixed.
- Performance improvements have been made when loading information into the query result set window, and when calculating relationship information and ‘pool’ information.
- Changing the file root could cause ‘pool’ information to be temporarily lost (until refreshed). Now fixed.
- Performance improvements have been made to the operation of the Records Window (only really noticeable if you have a huge database).
- Family Historian can now display pictures correctly even if the Format field is missing (which it can be if data is imported from some versions of Family Tree Maker).
- Added a new feature to the Descendant tab of the Focus Window: you can now re-order siblings or spouses, using the Move Up/Move Down buttons (unless the sibling move is ambiguous in which case you will get a message to that effect).
- Added a new feature to the first two tabs of the Focus Window: you can now re-order families, by selecting the marriage box for the family (to represent the entire family) and clicking the Move Up/Move Down buttons.
- Added an optional 3rd parameter to the plugin API function fhCreateItem which allows you to specify that you want it to automatically re-use empty fields if there are any. The default is not to do that.
- Plugins can now ‘Require’ modules with a ‘.lua’ suffix as well as the usual ‘.fh_lua’ suffix.
- Improved the Multimedia Window to reduce the likelihood of display problems.
- Changed the way date information is recorded when entered into a date field, to make it more robust.
- The arrow buttons for tabs on the Property Box did not always appear when they should. Now fixed.
- The ‘Add Spouse’ link in the Property Box, for adding additional spouses, did not always appear when it should. Now fixed.
- The debugger/editor for writing plugins, now has a ‘New’ command and an ‘Open’ command on the File menu, to make it easier to work with plugin scripts.
- Using special indices (like ‘year=1901′) in data references when customizing the Property Box, is now supported, but the resulting edit boxes in the Property Box are read-only.
- A warning message that appears when you do an import from Genbox (in relation to multimedia) has been improved to make its meaning clearer.
- If you added multimedia using a Plugin, you had to close the application and re-open it, before the multimedia would display correctly. Now fixed.
New in 5.0.1
- Problems with date entry caused by specifying ‘YYYY-MM-DD’ as preferred short date format in the Windows Control Panel have been fixed.
- Date entry has been made more flexible (e.g. “1953 3″ or “3 1953″ will both now be recognised as March 1953), and error messages have been improved and made more helpful.
- Long chart names were being truncated in the ‘Saved Charts’ list. Now fixed.
- The thickness of the border of pictures inserted into charts, was not accurate for the supplied point size. Now fixed.
- Tabs in Free Text in Books, are now automatically converted to 4 spaces (tabs are not supported in this context and their presence caused various problems).
- Fixed problem whereby a cause of death was not displayed in some reports if an address was supplied.
- Family Historian had problems loading some GEDCOM files generated by Family Search. Now fixed.
- Place information was not being displayed where it should have been in some reports – that is, immediately after attribute values such as Occupation. Now fixed.
- The Backup facility failed to create backup files larger than 2GB. Now fixed.
- The Backup facility also had problems backing up very large individual files (e.g. video files). Also now fixed.
- Various problems and issues with TMG import have been addressed: Some 6.x versions of TMG (e.g. 6.12) were not importing correctly. In the latest version of TMG, Family Historian record ids did not always match TMG record ids. Family record notes and ‘Count of Children’ fields were not being included in the import. In some situations, too many source records were being generated. All these have now been fixed. Also, Family Historian now automatically generates a family record for two people if TMG has a recorded marriage or divorce event for them.
- Family Historian now supports the way that recent versions of Family Tree Maker store links to multimedia in GEDCOM files.
- There is a new ‘Destination’ field in the Export Gedcom dialog box, with options ‘Default’, ‘Family Tree Maker’, or ‘Strict Gedcom’. Choosing ‘Family Tree Maker’ will ensure that links to multimedia are output in a way that FTM will accept. You will also be warned if options are unsuitable for FTM when you export. If you choose ‘Strict Gedcom’ you will be warned if options do not conform strictly to the Gedcom specification.
- Fixed a problem with generated links in web-pages (in the ‘Publication Information’ field within source records).
- Corrected a minor error in generated HTML.
- Unrecognised Data Fields (UDFs) are no longer deleted if empty, when a project is saved.
- In rare circumstances, some branches in ‘All Relatives’ diagrams could be closed incorrectly when the tree was created, if the option to hide duplicated branches was ticked. Now fixed.
- If you double-clicked on Property Box Tab custom definition files in some versions of Windows, the file type was not recognised. Now fixed.