Contribute Your Knowledge ~ Beginners User Guide
Please don't be shy. If you find something that needs revising, or has a spelling mistake, please feel free to correct and update the document. Every version of each page is recorded, so if you do have a problem the administrators here can recover an earlier version.
Quick Start Steps
If you are a newcomer then the following steps should get you started.
- Before you can edit the Knowledge Base Wiki you need to Sign Up for an editing account.
- Use Tools > Log In via the toolbar top right before each editing session.
- Navigate to the Knowledge Base Wiki page you wish to edit.
- Click Edit in the toolbar to edit a whole page, or one of the Edit buttons down the right-hand margin to edit one section.
- Just like the Forums edit post window, the edit Wiki window has a toolbar of Quick Buttons across the top to format any selected text as explained in Basic Text Formatting below.
- During the editing session, the Preview button displays the page, the Save button preserves your changes and ends the session, while Cancel quits the session with nothing changed.
- Use Tools > Log Out via the toolbar top right after each editing session.
There is a guide to editing pages and using the Wiki at dokuwiki:editing but as a beginner we suggest you skip anything to do with Formatting syntax or Creating a new page.
To add your genealogy website, or to add downloads and links, there are some shortcut forms to allow new pages to be created that you edit afterwards using the steps above:
Basic Text Formatting
The editor supports text formatting accessible via the toolbar of Quick Buttons across the top of the edit window.
In the examples the final format is shown 1st and then the edit window text and codes that created it.
In the examples the **final format** is shown 1<sup>st</sup> and then the edit window text and __codes__ that created it.
The editor supports bold, italic and underlined that you can combine together.
The editor supports **bold**, //italic// and __underlined__ that you can **__//combine//__** together.
You can use
monospaced or subscript and superscript or mark something as
You can use ''monospaced'' or <sub>subscript</sub> and <sup>superscript</sup> or mark something as <del>struck-out</del> too.
Paragraphs are created by inserting blank lines.
If you want to force a newline without a paragraph, you can use two backslashes at the end of a line.
This is some text with some linebreaks.
Note the two backslashes at the end of a line.
You should force newlines only if really needed.
This is some text with some linebreaks.\\ Note the two backslashes at the end of a line.\\ You should force newlines only if really needed.
The editor offers unordered Bullet Lists and ordered Numbered Lists. To create a list item, indent your text by two spaces and use a
* for unordered lists or a
- for ordered ones. The bullets and numbers are predefined, and you cannot change them.
- This is a list
- The second item
- You may have different levels
- Another item
* This is a list * The second item * You may have different levels * Another item
- The same list but ordered
- Another item
- Just use indention for deeper levels
- That's it
- The same list but ordered - Another item - Just use indention for deeper levels - That's it
Section Headlines on five different levels can be used to structure your content, and produce a Table of Contents below the left-hand sidebar.
Headline Level 4
Headline Level 5
====== Headline Level 1 ====== e.g. Beginners User Guide ===== Headline Level 2 ===== e.g. Introduction ==== Headline Level 3 ==== e.g. Section Headlines === Headline Level 4 === == Headline Level 5 == === === i.e. Adjust level without displaying any text
By using four or more dashes, you can make a horizontal line:
The above is just a summary of the Page Formatting ~ Basic Text Styles formatting codes, and you may notice other codes in documents, but these are best left alone until you have gained more editing experience. They are fully described in the Contribute Your Knowledge ~ Intermediate User Guide and the Contribute Your Knowledge ~ Advanced User Guide.