PSPad Editor is a freeware text editor. It has the ability to have additional syntax and formatting added. The extension detailed below will allow Family Historian A ‘function’ is an expression which returns values based on computations. Typically, functions require data to be supplied to them as ‘parameters’. A function in Family Historian is similar to a ‘function’ as used in spreadsheet applications (such as MS to be added with relative ease. See forum posting Calling Function Users for screenshots.
These steps should be performed in a Windows Administrator privileged account.
- First you must have installed the PSPad Editor using the PSPad Editor installation instructions.
- If you installed the earlier PSPad Family Historian Extensions (V1) or (V1.1), then Uninstall it using Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs (on XP) or Programs & Features (on Vista & Windows 7, 8 and 10). On Vista & Windows 7, 8 & 10 you should also run the PSPad Editor, and from the menu bar select Settings > User Highlighter… then Family Historian Formulas.INI and click the Delete keyboard button to delete this file.
- Next click on the link below to download and save the FHPsPadExtensions.exe Version 1.2 file.
- Double-click this file to install the extensions, making sure to use the same install folder as for PSPad Editor.
Now you need to set up the extension within PSPad Editor from a Windows Administrator privileged account.
- From the menu bar select Settings > Highlighters Settings….
- Scroll down on the left until you reach (or possibly <Family Historian Formulas> if you had installed Version 1.0).
- Click on the first one and from the right hand User Highlighters select Family Historian Functions.
- In the Help File box above, click on the … browse button to select the Family Historian Functions help.
- It will be in the installation folder e.g. C:\Program Files\PSPad editor\help\Family Historian Functions.chm.
- Finally click the OK button.
If you would also like to add highlighting for tags in GEDCOM files, simply repeat the above configuration for the next <not assigned> and select gedcom from the User Highlighters list. There is no Help File for this highlighter.
Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8 & 10
On Vista and Windows 7, 8 &10 you need an extra couple of steps, also using a Windows Administrator privileged account.
- From the menu bar select Settings > User Highlighter… then Family Historian Functions.INI and click the Open button, then the Save and Cancel buttons.
- Then select Settings > Edit Clip Definition File > Family Historian Functions and click Save (Ctrl+S) then Close (Ctrl+F4).
These capabilities are available from any type of Windows account.
From the menu bar select File > New … or click the drop down arrow next to the New button (white icon) and select Family Historian Functions.
Enter the first few letters of a Function and use Ctrl+Space to obtain a prompt for all matching Functions, or simply use Ctrl+Space to obtain a prompt for every Function.
Select the desired Function and enter the required parameters. When finished, copy & paste the Function into Family Historian.
If you want Help for a Function, highlight the Function name and use Alt+F1.
For the GEDCOM, an acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunication, is a specification for exchanging genealogical data between different genealogy software. It is a file format that most genealogical programs and online trees recognise. highlighter, from the menu bar select File > New file… or click the drop down arrow next to the New button (white icon) and select GEDCOM, then any tags created in this file will be highlighted.