* Minor Addition Required

Stevebye
Superstar
Family Historian: V6

Minor Addition Required

Post by Stevebye » 30 Apr 2010 17:00

In the Marriage Staus drop down menu please add Bigamous.

Edit - Admin:
This is covered by
http://www.fhug.org.uk/wishlist/wldispl ... lwlref=399

ID:4539

barbara348
Diamond
Family Historian: None

Minor Addition Required

Post by barbara348 » 05 May 2010 15:41

Hi, would it be possible to also add Widow/Widower in the Marriage Status drop down menu please?

Just wondered.

barbara.

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Minor Addition Required

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 05 May 2010 16:24

As I understand it, the marriage status is associated with a family (couple) not an individual, so it wouldn't be appropriate to include widow/widower. Also, 'widow/widower' doesn't make much sense on its own without the dates for which it applies.

I could however make good use of 'bigamous' as a marriage status.

PeterR
Megastar

Minor Addition Required

Post by PeterR » 05 May 2010 20:04

I agree with Cole Valley Girl.
However, since this field is not standard GEDCOM, but is merely an FH extension, I can see no reason why users should not be able to enter any appropriate text, e.g. 'Bigamous', 'Civil Partnership', etc.
In fact there has been a Wish-List item for Editable marriage status drop-down list (399) since 22/07/09, but it has not yet had many votes.
See: http://www.fhug.org.uk/wishlist/wldispl ... lwlref=399
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)

PeterR
Megastar

Minor Addition Required

Post by PeterR » 28 May 2010 00:48

I've added the following comment to the above-mentioned wish-list item:

Strictly speaking 'Marriage Status' in FH is implemented by using the GEDCOM extension tag '_STAT' which links directly to the FAMily record, not to a MARRiage event linked to the FAMily record.  It is possible for a given FAMily record (representing the partnership of couple of INDIviduals) to have more than one MARRiage event, e.g. Burton & Taylor.  It may also be the case that a couple could have two MARRiages, the first of which was bigamous, and the second was regular, e.g. following divorce or death of the earlier spouse.  In such cases, a status of 'bigamous' would apply only to the first MARRiage, not to the entire FAMily record (as would be the case if the _STAT tag were used).  Perhaps it would be best just to use a NOTE or TYPE (aka 'Descriptor') attached to the relevant MARRiage event?
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)