* Tutorial Videos

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Steve
Family Historian: V7

Tutorial Videos

Post by Steve »

Hi

I've just downloaded the Ancestral Sources app - I'm new to Family Historian. Are there any video turorials as I found the reading matter a bit overwhelming and a bit hard to understand if I am honest? A video would be more use to me.

Thanks
Steve
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Tutorial Videos

Post by tatewise »

Hi Steve.
In the FHUG Knowledge Base you will find a wealth of advice and tutorials on FH, AS, and related topics.
For AS see Ancestral Sources which towards the end has a link to Ancestral Sources Videos.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Steve

The videos to watch (that Mike refers to in his response) are hosted in my Ancestral Sources YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@ancestralsources

The best video to start with is the Ancestral Sources Introduction. This goes through how to create a census entry in Ancestral Sources and shows you where the data then appears afterwards in Family Historian. Census entry is the 'gateway drug' for Ancestral Sources: it's probably the easiest source type to help you to get used to how AS works and interacts with FH. Once you're comfortable with all that then you can move onto looking at the other source types.

The video All about sources in Family Historian should help you to understand some of the terminology that gets used in regards to sources such as Templated or Generic sources, lumper/splitter, rich-text/plain text.

If you decide to use templated sources then the video on this should help: Using Family Historian Templated Sources in Ancestral Sources

Once you're a bit more familar with AS then the 'What's new in v7.8 and v7.7' videos are useful too as I talk through some recent features. Those features may not all be relevant to you but will help you to gain further understanding of what AS can do.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks all.

Steve