* Married cousins

Questions about creating, customising and using diagrams and charts
CentralNYTarnows
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Married cousins

Post by CentralNYTarnows »

Greetings from Kansas City,
I've been working on my wife's ancestor and descendants chart when I noticed a duplication of 2 ancestors at the top of the chart. Turns out there are 2 cousins married to each other a couple generations down. Not sure if there is a fix for this or do I have to rebuild the entire tree? Found a posting regarding merging but there were not enough details for me to feel comfortable proceeding. I'm running 7.0.22 if that helps....thanks, Bob
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Married cousins

Post by tatewise »

I think the following is the explanation but without seeing the diagram it is difficult to be certain.
When cousins marry they bridge across generations so their relatives have two relationships to the other members of the family tree. The duplications illustrate where such people fit into their two relationships in the tree.

Is each duplication actually the same person appearing in two positions in the tree?
i.e. If you double-click both Diagram boxes to display the Property Box are they the same person with the same Record Id?

Are the duplicated boxes linked by a coloured ribbon?

If the answers are 'Yes' then the duplicate boxes show the same person in their two positions in the tree.

If you are still in doubt then post a screenshot of the Diagram for us to analyse
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry