* AS v7.8.6 and Crossover install

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

AS v7.8.6 and Crossover install

Post by Valkrider »

Nick

I am in the process of updating the KB article on running FH and AS in Crossover. Initially AS worked fine and then suddenly after a while this error popped up.
Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 12.06.42.png
Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 12.06.42.png (17.05 KiB) Viewed 212 times
I tried uninstalling AS and reinstalling but now immediately on opening AS I get the error message. This is the full detail from the error message

Code: Select all

Code noted and removed by Nick Walker - Thank you.
I know you don't support AS in Crossover but does this give any clues as to what the issue may be please?
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: AS v7.8.6 and Crossover install

Post by NickWalker »

This is related to the tab control that is displayed on the main screen for the non-census source types where it has Main Info, Residence, etc. The standard .net framework winforms tab control doesn't allow the tabs to have a colour to match the rest of the control so they look really odd. So the routine that is failing draws a colour rectangle over the tab in currently selected colour - a bit 'hacky' but is the widely recommended solution.

When you said it worked fine I wonder if this while you were in census mode? I'm assuming you didn't update the colours just before?

I expect if you were to delete the following registry key AS would run again if you need to test this further:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ancestral Sources

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

@Valkrider, @Nick,

I still mainly use Ancestral Sources (AS) via a Windows Virtual Machine, when working on Apple systems, but FWIW the last time I installed AS in Crossover I added Wine's Mono instead of MS .NET and AS seems to work much the same (hesitate to say identically as I haven't tested absolutely everything), but the installation produced a much lighter app without the .NET overhead.

I've not had any luck with use of the 'Tables' features with either .NET or Mono installs - same issues as experienced with FH7 on Crossover/Wine, presumably due to some missing/incompatible dependency employed by Calico Pie's programming - but otherwise OK.

Mervyn
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

NickWalker wrote: 07 Apr 2024 12:21 When you said it worked fine I wonder if this while you were in census mode? I'm assuming you didn't update the colours just before?

I expect if you were to delete the following registry key AS would run again if you need to test this further:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ancestral Sources

Cheers

Nick
Thanks Nick yes I was in census mode as soon as I changed to a burial that is when the error occurred (you just reminded me of that with your reply). No I didn't change the colours, I left it in the pale green default. I tried deleting the registry key as suggested and AS started fine but as soon as I changed input type I got the same error again.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I've just checked and this procedure for setting the tab colours was in AS from at least version 5 in 2014 and probably for longer than that so it isn't something new.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Nick, the last time the KB was updated it was written for a Windows 7 bottle with AS v5.0.2 and Crossover v19. So all have moved on considerably and along the way something has changed which is causing the issue. I suspect that I will have to remove AS from the article but I will experiment a bit more to see if I can resolve the issue.