* Electoral Register Settings...

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
fhtess65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Electoral Register Settings...

Post by fhtess65 »

First, I did go to the KB this time, but what I found there didn't match what I'm seeing on my screen. I'd like to set up the Electoral Register option to appear as such in FH, instead of as Census and though I tried to follow the KB instructions, it's not working.

I get as for as Tools>Options>General Settings, but at that point, I can go no further.

The KB article says to "adjust Source title includes and Source type is", but I can't seem to click anywhere that allows me to do so. What am I doing wrong?
IssueWithOptions-KBimageDoesntMatch.jpg
IssueWithOptions-KBimageDoesntMatch.jpg (396.65 KiB) Viewed 269 times
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Electoral Register Settings...

Post by NickWalker »

The answer to this really depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you use the electoral registers built into AS with generic sources then the source type will automatically change to be Electoral Register and the title too. But as you don't use generic sources I expect this isn't the issue. I expect the article you were looking at on the Knowledge base was created by someone else a long time ago before FH introduced templated sources and before AS added a lot of the facilities that are available now.

If you want to change the Fact that is created then you'll need to edit the auto-text templates for the electoral register (Tools->Autotext Templates) - you could change the fact type to be Residence or a custom event.

If you're referring to the source template that you use then you'll need to import that into Ancestral Sources just like you did when you first set up the templates you're using now. So go to Tools->Source Template Editor then choose Census at the top and then click New and select the Family Historian source template that you want to use. As there will then be two templates linked to the 'census mode' you'll need to select the one you want to use whenever you create a 'census' (census or electoral register) record.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

Don't select an item in the box - if you do, the options are restricted to Delete and Cancel (below the box).

Click the drop-down box below which gives you the "Source title includes" and "Source tye is" options. Then type in the text box to the right, and then click Save.

Edit: Replied the same time as Nick.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Hi Nick,

Yes, it's the Fact created I would like to change so it doesn't appear in the Property Box as a Census.

Feeling a bit dim, here, but where would I do that? All I see is the option for Census and can't figure out in the code to do anything at all with Electoral Registers.
ElectoralRegisterTemplate.jpg
ElectoralRegisterTemplate.jpg (135.14 KiB) Viewed 240 times
ElectoralRegisterTemplate2.jpg
ElectoralRegisterTemplate2.jpg (228.41 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Thanks...
NickWalker wrote: 25 Mar 2024 18:48 <SNIP>
If you want to change the Fact that is created then you'll need to edit the auto-text templates for the electoral register (Tools->Autotext Templates) - you could change the fact type to be Residence or a custom event.
<SNIP>
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

Teresa, try looking in Tools, Census Templates...

Then Fact, Use custom event
John Elvin
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks, John - I made that change (though chose Residence, rather than Custom Fact)...Will give that a go and see if I like it.

Eventually I'll get to know all the ins and outs of this process.
jelv wrote: 25 Mar 2024 20:23 Teresa, try looking in Tools, Census Templates...

---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

jelv wrote: 25 Mar 2024 20:23 Teresa, try looking in Tools, Census Templates...

Thanks John, sorry Teresa - wrong template. I could see the census template editor in my head when I was writing my response but wrote autotext template editor instead. As I've commented before, there are too many templates in AS :)
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Absolutely no worries! Just happy to have the solution :)
NickWalker wrote: 25 Mar 2024 21:23 Thanks John, sorry Teresa - wrong template. I could see the census template editor in my head when I was writing my response but wrote autotext template editor instead. As I've commented before, there are too many templates in AS :)
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford