* Copying on 1921 Census

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Johnr65
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Copying on 1921 Census

Post by Johnr65 »

I've noticed that when I copy and paste the reference numbers for the 1921, after the RG number, the paste goes to the right leaving a space, is this an AS problem or my browser?
Screenshot 2024-03-21 110014.png
Screenshot 2024-03-21 110014.png (106.89 KiB) Viewed 280 times
ChrisRead
Famous

Re: Copying on 1921 Census

Post by ChrisRead »

When I copy from a web page (FMP mostly) I tend to use Copy as Plain Text (not sure now if thats from a copy paste addon). The reason being it avoids copying some invisible formating stuff. Also, be careful not to select too much for the same reason, especially table formatted stuff. Finally, I tend to use paste without formatting where available.

Looks like you have a lurking tab in the 1921 reference that was copied. I'd say browser/user issue rather than AS.
Chris Read
Family Historian and Ancestral Sources user.

Researching the READ family and the myriad other relations that turned up.
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

I do the same as Chris - if you use a Windows computer, Ctrl-Shift-v is the keyboard shortcut to paste as plain text.
ChrisRead wrote: 21 Mar 2024 12:25 When I copy from a web page (FMP mostly) I tend to use Copy as Plain Text (not sure now if thats from a copy paste addon). The reason being it avoids copying some invisible formating stuff. Also, be careful not to select too much for the same reason, especially table formatted stuff.
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

The reference ID is just a plain text-box so it's not possible to do anything other than 'paste as plain text'. So the issue with John's example in the screenshot is with the web page that the text is being copied from. It must have some additional characters on the web page between the RG15/ and the 02092 - either spaces, a tab or characters that are not plain text and so get converted into spaces instead when pasted in.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Johnr65
Megastar

Post by Johnr65 »

I guess I'll have to start using Ctrl +V for that part then. Thank you.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

How you paste it won't make any difference if the place you're copying from has additional spaces or tabs within it. So just paste it in to AS and then edit the reference id box to remove the spaces.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/