* New PC

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
peterbel
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

New PC

Post by peterbel »

I am considering replacing my PC (a laptop) and I am planning what I have got ahead of me. I realise this is not an FH specific problem but hope that the some FHUG members may have trod this path before and could have some good advice.
Some details: Windows 10 to 11.
The majority of my data is on One Drive.
Less regularly used data are in folders on a NAS and they are Mapped on the laptop.
I considering buying and using Laplink as I believe it copies Applications, Unsure if that includes their Keys?
I will use this opportunity to tidy up/not copy over, some 'stuff' as I come across it.

Thanks
Tracing the Devon Bellamy family along with their partners.
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: New PC

Post by Mark1834 »

We’re probably drifting off-scope, as it’s not an FH question, and could range from trivially easy to very complex, depending on what else you use the PC for…
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

This is definitely off-topic, I'm afraid.
Only open topics that are about:

* using FH or complementary products (including plugins)
* exchanging data between FH and other products and services
* understanding how FH can be used to achieve functionality you're familiar with in other products
* using the FHUG forums or the Knowledgebase
* general research challenges
Sticking just to FH, from the Family Historian website at System Requirements.
Family Historian 7 runs under Windows 11, 10 and 8, on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

At least 100Mb of hard disk space is required to store the program and accompanying files.
Additional disk space will for FH will depend predominantly on what media you have.

And you'll want to familiarise yourself with the relevant article in the KnowledgeBase: Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Yes I knew it was off topic but as I said, hoping for some experienced guidance. Apologises.
Any chance for an 'Off Topic/IT' category in the future?
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Trying to stick 'on topic' by mentioning FH a lot... I use OneDrive synced across several computers and this holds my FH projects and all other data. So purchasing a new computer or installing onto a new computer is no longer a daunting thing because when I add my Microsoft account to the new computer it syncs my files over (including my FH projects). I just need to install the software I use such as Family Historian, Ancestral Sources and other off-topic software. I don't particularly have any settings in FH that I would need to transfer, but if you do then the article that Helen linked to would be a good starting point. If I had a NAS drive to store my data (perhaps including FH data) then I'd map that in the same way as I would have on my old PC. But this does complicate things a little. I do realise that I have an advantage in being what others would call 'an IT expert' but as long as you take your time and don't clear anything off the old PC before you are 100% certain everything is working, then you should be OK.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Nick for your On Topic reply. I will study the links above and when understood proceed .......... slowly.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I would seriously review whether Laplink can automatically migrate installed programs such FH and AS, etc, from PC to PC bearing in mind FH also installs C++ and Printer applications. The usual advice is to reinstall applications such as that from scratch using installation media.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

tatewise wrote: 20 Mar 2024 19:35 I would seriously review whether Laplink can automatically migrate installed programs such FH and AS, etc, from PC to PC bearing in mind FH also installs C++ and Printer applications. The general advice is to reinstall applications such as that from scratch using installation media.
Yes I wouldn't bother with Laplink. You need to install FH, AS, etc. from scratch on the new PC.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/