* How to generate a list of ALL names

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
KFN
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

How to generate a list of ALL names

Post by KFN »

I'm trying to create a list of all names in my database. I've found "canned" list for Boy and Girl Names but they only list the first NAME tag and none of the other NAME tags for an individual.

I can't figure out how to create a query that displays an individual and all of the NAME tags they have. Most women have several NAME tags (Birth and Married) and because we are talking about Norwegian names a large percentage of men will have multiple NAME tags as well.

So my question is how to use FH7 to generate a NAME list for all individuals and all NAME tag occurrences?

Thanks
laz_gen
Famous

Re: How to generate a list of ALL names

Post by laz_gen »

This will return the first name - %INDI.NAME[1]%
This will return the second name - %INDI.NAME[2]%

and so on

By first name I don't mean a persons given names, I mean [1] will find their usual name shown in the property box and [2] will find their first Alternate Name you have entered using the +More dialog etc.

Just repeat for however many alternate names that individuals have in your database
KFN
Superstar

Post by KFN »

Works, thanks
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Another option is to use the Search All Possible Names plugin and leave the search fields blank.

https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... ible-names
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

I was after something similar, however, when running the plugin, it ran into problems with the diacritics on my Polish names :( ...
SearchAllPossNamesPluginFailure.jpg
SearchAllPossNamesPluginFailure.jpg (192.48 KiB) Viewed 196 times
Jane wrote: 15 Mar 2024 12:07 Another option is to use the Search All Possible Names plugin and leave the search fields blank.

https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... ible-names
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is quite an old plugin and does not correctly handle UTF-8 Unicode accented letters and symbols.
It will substitute a ? for any accented letter such as your Polish diacritics but otherwise I think it works OK.
Ideally, it needs to be updated for FH V7 standard plugin mode and support UTF-8 characters.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry