* Generation Number on Diagram

Questions about creating, customising and using diagrams and charts
ADC65
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Generation Number on Diagram

Post by ADC65 »

I can't find reference to this on the forum or the FH7 help, but I'm certain I have seen the feature I am looking for at some time in the past. It's so long in the past that it might have been another software package, but that's unlikely.

Just to help with some tidying-up that I'm doing, I want to display a diagram (or chart, I can never remember which is which) to work from that splits the generations into lines, either vertically or horizontally is not important. I know how to add generational coloured bars, and I know how to colour each box for its generation. I'm not fussy about the details for this as it's just a temporary diagram while I work through some of the data.

What I'm positive I've seen in the past though, that I can't get to display now, is the Generation Number on the diagram, for example, the diagram root will be Generation 1, the next one down will be Generation 2, and so on. I'm sure these use to display on the borders between generations.

Is this possible or am I imagining that it was ever a feature? I've attached a mocked-up version of what I'm trying to explain.
Screenshot 2024-03-10 202401.png
Screenshot 2024-03-10 202401.png (40.67 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Generation Number on Diagram

Post by tatewise »

I am not aware of a feature to display the Generation Number.
There is an option to display a Relationship description for each generation:

image.png
image.png (94.82 KiB) Viewed 156 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ADC65
Superstar

Re: Generation Number on Diagram

Post by ADC65 »

Thank you Mike. That is probably what I was thinking of, but I had remembered it differently.

I have updated the Text Scheme to include a Generation Number in each box which works for what I want

Code: Select all

Gen: =RelationCode(%CUR_DGM_ROOT%,%INDI%,GENERATION,1)
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England