* Get a list of people from Project 1 to Project 2

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
DaveV
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Get a list of people from Project 1 to Project 2

Post by DaveV »

I have 2 projects. I would like to add everyone in project 1 to a named list in project 2. I hoped I could flag them or add them to a named list using the file/compare but cant figure a way using that, My 2nd thought is make a named list in Project 1 and somehow copy it to project 2, would that be possible or do the lists not actually go by name but ID which would be different?
Hopefully i'm just overt hinking this. Any suggestions appreciated.
Gowermick
Megastar

Re: Get a list of people from Project 1 to Project 2

Post by Gowermick »

A named list only refers to people within a project, so cannot be moved from one project to another.
But, there is nothing to stop you from having two separate trees within the same project.
I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me, can advise on how best to move one of your trees from one project into the other. i.e. Export the tree from one project and import it into the other project. Both trees will then be in the same project, that way the named list can refer to people in the same project, albeit in different trees.

BTW I do this all the time, by adding unrelated individuals to my tree, useful when I don’t know if they are actually related to anyone in my tree. If I do find they are related, It is just a matter of linking one of the individuals into my tree, effectively joining them
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Dave, Named Lists hold links to records (the same as any other record links) and therefore use Record Id.
They cannot use record Names because they are not necessarily unique.

So it is impossible to move a Named List from Project 1 to Project 2 because its Record Id would refer to Project 2.

It might help if you explained your objectives.
e.g.
Is Project 1 a subset of Project 2 and you want to identify the people in Project 2 who are in Project 1?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
DaveV
Gold

Post by DaveV »

What I am trying to achieve is..

I have 2 projects.
project 2 has about 3000 people
project 1 has 500 which are all duplicate people of project 2
I just want to flag all the people in project 2 that are in project 1 without importing them eventually adding them to a named list in project 2
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't think that is a straightforward task unless some form of import from Project 1 into Project 2 is allowed.

How are Project 1 and Project 2 related?
Was Project 1 created from an export/copy of Project 2 so that the Record Id of the 500 people will be the same in the two Projects?
If that is true then you can manually copy the Named List from Project 1 GEDCOM into Project 2 GEDCOM.
I'll explain how to do that later.

If that is not the case then can you guarantee the Names of those 500 people are all unique with no duplicates?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
DaveV
Gold

Post by DaveV »

an update:
I finally deceided it was easiest ( but not easy!) to just manually add each person- I opened the 2 project side by side on 2 monitors and went through the list that way.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.