* Search and delete duplicate Events?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
DaveV
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Search and delete duplicate Events?

Post by DaveV »

After incorrectly merging a few projects I have 1000's of duplicate, triplicate and more events for the majority of people in my project. Is there a way to search for them and merge or delete all the extras?
BillH
Megastar

Re: Search and delete duplicate Events?

Post by BillH »

Welcome to the FHUG forums.

One way to do it is to download the plugin called Find Duplicate Facts. This will create a result set from which you can delete the facts that you no longer wish to keep.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
DaveV
Gold

Post by DaveV »

Thanks Bill - I missed that one due to looking for "events" vs "facts" - darn terminology

I just ran it and it didnt find very much ( 179) due to my errors of not being consistent with entries over the years. for instance a comma in one entry and not in the other so I still have thousands to find.

Does anyone know If the is a way to search just the event/Fact type for each person? So I would look for multiple marriages or multiple 1870 residences ect and not look at the data entered there?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

You can see a full list of each persons's facts by expanding their record in the Records window, or by looking at the All tab of their Property box. However if you want a less cramped layout you could use a custom query. Try this one:

All facts for selected individual.fhq
(826 Bytes) Downloaded 15 times
Download and double-click to install it in FH. When you run it, it will prompt for the required individual.

By clicking on different column headings you can order them by date or by fact type. Be careful to check before deleting any apparent duplicates! Some may have notes or sources which others of the same type and date don't have. Make sure you keep all the information.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Dave, did you experiment with all the tick options in the Find Duplicate Facts plugin?

If your inconsistent use of commas is in Fact Place (PLAC) or Fact Address (ADDR) fields then untick those options in the plugin.

If you Remove Ticks entirely then I think only the Fact Label and its Date plus Attribute values must match to report duplicates. All the other data fields are ignored, which is what you have requested.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

DaveV wrote: 07 Mar 2024 11:46 Does anyone know If the is a way to search just the event/Fact type for each person? So I would look for multiple marriages or multiple 1870 residences ect and not look at the data entered there?
Does this query help with finding multiple marriages?
Attachments
Multiple marriages of same couple.fhq
(606 Bytes) Downloaded 11 times
John Elvin
DaveV
Gold

Post by DaveV »

I finally got around to trying this. It found a lot more. Still more to go but I'll slowly get there.
Thank You!
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

If you tell us what the other types of duplicates are we can try to create other queries.
John Elvin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, if you explain exactly what you are trying, and what it is not finding, then we can help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The posting by Viper1812 has been split off to thread Search and delete duplicate Family (22891) as it is more complex than just a duplicate Event.
DaveV
Gold

Post by DaveV »

I think I got everything fixed including a problem with duplicate Citations -also fixed with a plugin, the only duplicate Citations I have left which that plugin didnt find are on Names but I'll address that at a later time.
Thanks for all the Help