* template's in sources

Questions about Generic and Templated Sources within FH and their associated Citations and Repositories
Bullee
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

template's in sources

Post by Bullee »

Hello,

after a little crash, i could restore my resources, but all the template's that i was using are missing.
i know you can put a template back in a source, but is it possible to select more then 1 and put the correct template for those sources ?
i have still about 4000 sources without templates. if not possible, then i know i have a tought job to do.

i could from my project not restore from backup or from snapshot's ..

Jan Bullee
tatewise
Megastar

Re: template's in sources

Post by tatewise »

Jan, I am very concerned that you are having several different problems all happening at the same time.

Has the error while starting FH7.0.22 (program close) (22821) that we were discussing been fixed?

How did you restore your resources? What command did you use?
To restore an FH Full Project Backup you must use the File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup... command.

That should restore all the Source Template records you were using and the templated Sources will be OK.

In FH what is shown on the Records Window tabs? It should look like the screenshot below.
But ensure Tools > Preferences > Records Window tab Record Type Display Options are all Always show.
image.png
image.png (32.76 KiB) Viewed 245 times
What is listed in the Source Templates tab?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Bullee
Platinum

Post by Bullee »

Hello Tate,

not all is for for here, i know for sure i have more problems and still not all fixed..
i am glad i can now relaxed work in FH, make a backup is big problems, i can chose a directory, but to type the name of the backup is impossible, i kan ook select a previous make backup file and then overwrite this backup..

i am afraid of to set a backup back will have the same problems again, that the program closed come back (this is now fixed..

i did not get a good answer from the ticket i write (you suggest ask Calico Pie to investigate your problem via their online Support Ticket System) (they only say that i delete by accident)

this is a little of my sources tab.
image.png
image.png (45.38 KiB) Viewed 237 times
This is how my record windows tab look like
image.png
image.png (45.31 KiB) Viewed 237 times
for me it's no problem to by hand attach the source template, but it's some work , all the information is still in the source's , only the template is not there )

Jan Bullee.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What is listed in the Source Templates tab shown in your Records Window screenshot?
Bullee
Platinum

Post by Bullee »

Tate,
image.png
image.png (105.69 KiB) Viewed 223 times
After the error while starting FH7.0.22 (program close) (22821) was fixed? there were no source templates anymore, i had to import them again.

Jan
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Source records link to Source Templates by using the Source Template Record Id.
If the Source Templates you have just downloaded do not have the same Record Id as they had before the little crash then the links will not be correct.

The only way to get the correct links back is to use the File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup... command.
How did you restore your resources after the little crash?
Bullee
Platinum

Post by Bullee »

Tate, i understand now why the templates are missing in my sources.

i did not restore from a backup copy because as i mentiond in other message this is also a problem, to make a backup.

For myself the safest way is to correct all the sources 1 by 1 and ad the template what i used..

i don't trust a earlyer backup..
a backup from now i trust, the program is stabel..

Jan
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

How did you get all the other data back? Individual records, Family records, Source records, etc...
Bullee
Platinum

Post by Bullee »

I make a new project and imported a little older ged file.

when the project opend i get some validated error's
FH asked if this must be corrected an i say yes, after this, i get a reasable good working project , but as was mention, the source templates where missing in all my sources. When i was looking to all the templates, i saw that er was no source templates anymore, so i imported them again.

Jan
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is strange. If that old GEDCOM had Source records with Links to Source Templates I don't understand why it had no Source Templates.

Anyway, that is what you have so you must repair the Links by hand.

To perform backups you do not have to use the FH File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup option.

Instead, use Windows File Explorer to copy the entire Project folder to another disk drive.
You can even use the Windows right-click Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder to create a ZIP file and copy that to another disk drive or OneDrive or a pen drive.
There are also many Backup applications that can backup all your documents including FH Projects.