* Individual Narrative Report - Sentence problem

Questions about the various ways of sharing your research with others
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Individual Narrative Report - Sentence problem

Post by ColinMc »

I'm having some issues with reports, which I am very very in-experienced at using, as I've been concentrating on collecting data rather than reporting, but now I need to meet with relatives and talk through some of my findings using the Individual Narrative Report.

I have a custom attribute "Misc" which has a sentence template as follows

Code: Select all

<{value}>< {date}><, in {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}> < {age}>{note}
In the Property Box, this creates (as expected) with my data
Became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1887.

In the Individual Narrative Report however this becomes
Became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons on 1887.

The word "in" is replaced with "on" which doesn't make sense.

My standard attribute Occupation has this sentence text

Code: Select all

{date} {individual} was recorded as {a/an value}< at {address}>< in {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}> {age} {note}
This generates in the Property Box with my example data
Circa 1887 he was recorded as a House Surgeon at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh.

In the Individual Narrative Report however this becomes
Circa 1887 he was recorded as House Surgeon at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh.

The leading "a" here is deleted.

My fact sentences for both facts are green.

I also have a custom Individual Narrative Report which I created (ages ago, so I do not remember exactly what I did). As far as I am aware, this was primarily created to change fonts, font sizes and colours, along with some other alts re pictures etc.

Both these sentences in the report appear as their Property Box version.

I have tried looking in the KB and the forum, but not found any answers yet. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong when using the default Individual Narrative?
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Individual Narrative Report - Sentence problem

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, as an aside, you don't need most of the < angle brackets > in the Sentence Template, so use:
{value} {date}<, in {%FACT.PLAC:SHORT%}> {age} {note}
FH will sort out the redundant spaces if field values are empty. Only the , in prefix needs to be conditional.

If sentences in the Narrative Report are coloured green then it suggests you have invoked some Language translation. In the Report Options... what are the Language tab settings?
Please post a screenshot instead of trying to describe it.

Also, what are your Tools > Preferences > International tab settings? Screenshot please.

In both dialogues try using the Restore Defaults button. Does that cure the problems?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

As ever, thanks for the help, and again as ever you have got right to the heart of the problem.

No need for <>. Thanks for that extra help. I have changed that (and a few other) Fact sentences accordingly.

As it happens, when I referred to the Green colouring, I was referring to the fact sentence in the Property Box, in that I had not made any manual alterations to the Fact sentence. However, on the Narrative Report, my sentences were in fact coloured (see image later). That was to be my next question on the forum to understand what this meant and I hadn't found any reference to it in help.

Resetting the dialog box in Tools > Preferences > International made no difference, the settings were already at default.
JV2.jpg
JV2.jpg (257.32 KiB) Viewed 200 times

Resetting to default in Report Options Language tab resolved my problem with the Fact sentences, and additionally removed the colouring in the report text. Here was the setting as it was:

JV0.jpg
JV0.jpg (127.6 KiB) Viewed 200 times
and after Reset
JV1.jpg
JV1.jpg (94.4 KiB) Viewed 200 times
As requested, I've included screenshots for any others reading this post.

Thanks for your assistance. Always learning!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It seems you have been experimenting with my English (ENG RPRT) Language Pack that attempts to offer alternative words for some headings and a few other adjustments to the standard English FH Reports.
Possibly, it inadvertently upsets some words in some sentences as you discovered. I'll need to fix that in due course.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

The evidence certainly proves that I had been playing with that format, but I have absolutely no recollection of doing so intentionally, I am quite happy to accept that I did so though.

Thanks again