* Log folder error message

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
wkelley
Family Historian: V7

Log folder error message

Post by wkelley »

Hello my friends,
I have been a successful user of Ancestral Sources for at least a year. As of a month or so ago, when I try to open Ancestral Sources, I get the attached error:
image.png
image.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 168 times
This occurs if whether I attempt to access via Family Historian plug-in or as a standalone app. I have opened/closed browser multiple times, restarted pc multiple times, reinstalled plug-in and app, verified correct .Net file is installed. None of these tactics have worked.

Any thoughts to help me troubleshoot this issue? At this point, I can't access or use Ancestral Sources at all.

Thanks for any assistance,
Wanda
Nebraska, USA
Thanks!
Wanda
:geek:
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Log folder error message

Post by tatewise »

When you set up AS it creates an Ancestral Sources folder usually in the Documents folder.
That holds the three folders Backups, Logs and Settings as shown below.
Can you find those on your PC?
It is that ...Documents\Ancestral Sources\Log folder that AS cannot access and cannot create a new one.
image.png
image.png (23.88 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wkelley

Post by wkelley »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your response. I do have those 3 folders. The Log Folder has a few log files. What could be the cause of AS not being able to access those folders?
Thanks!
Wanda
:geek:
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Wanda

My guess is that security software on your computer is stopping AS from accessing your documents. Take a look at this Knowledge Base page. The 3rd expandable section of the page describes how to resolve the issue if Windows security is blocking you. The 4th if you use Norton security.

Regards

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/