* Exporting All relatives plus indirect relatives

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
gosforthian
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Exporting All relatives plus indirect relatives

Post by gosforthian »

I did search but couldn't find a specific answer to my question. I have created a small family tree within my main project that I would like to export to a new project. It would not just be the ancestors of the main person but all their indirect relatives as well - the same set of people that would appear on an All Relatives plus Indirect Relatives diagram. I have no media attached to that set of people. And that set of people is completely separate in every way from the folks in the main project.

I would like all the notes and sources attached to the people to be exported as well of course.

How would I do this please?

Thanks

Ian
jelv
Megastar

Re: Exporting All relatives plus indirect relatives

Post by jelv »

Briefly, you'd copy the project and then in the copied project use the Split Tree Helper (on the File menu) to remove all the individuals you don't want and all records associated with them. You'd need a query to select either the individuals to remove or those to retain.
Split Tree Helper.png
Split Tree Helper.png (33.1 KiB) Viewed 275 times
John Elvin
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Another approach is to use File > Import/Export > Export > Gedcom file.

In either case you need to start by adding all the required people to a Named List.

You can do this by creating the All Relatives plus Indirect Relatives diagram and make sure it is shrunk to fit entirely within the diagram window. Then click the Select icon (second from right hand end of the diagram toolbar) and select all the boxes in the diagram by using the mouse to draw a rectangle round the entire diagram. (Start in one corner, hold down the left mouse button and drag to the diagonally opposite corner.) Then use Edit > Add to Named List.

As you have no media linked to the individuals you can use File > Import/Export > Export > Gedcom file. Click the Select button, and in the Select Records dialogue use the Named Lists tab and select your new Named List. Click the >> symbol in the centre to add the individuals to the right hand side, then click OK. Make sure that in the Records to Exclude section the Unconnected Records is ticked. This will ensure that you only export the Source (or other) records which are connected to these people.

The exported Gedcom can now be used to start a new project. In the FH Project window use New Project > Import a Gedcom.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

IMO it is easier to use the =RelationPool(%INDI%) function in a Query.
Alternatively, run the Query > Relatives & Relationships > Search For Orphans and select Individuals with the Pool number for the family group and add them to a Named List.

Are there any Fact Witnesses that also need to be included because they may have a different Pool number?

The Export > GEDCOM File... method proposed by Lorna is better because it avoids unnecessarily copying all your Media files and excludes unlinked Place records that the Split Tree Helper does not allow.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gosforthian
Diamond

Post by gosforthian »

Thanks very much all. I will give the named list and gedcom export a go.
Regards
Ian
gosforthian
Diamond

Post by gosforthian »

Thanks again. The gedcom export of a named list worked perfectly. The only things that didn't make it was the formatting of URLs embedded in notes, but the http strings made it through ok. So a quick search for http enabled me to put them back as links.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In the ... > Export > GEDCOM File... dialogue, under Facts & Notes did you tick Convert notes to plain text?
If so then it explains what happened.
Next time untick that option.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry