* Question about media files

Questions about using and managing media in FH
Gary_G
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Question about media files

Post by Gary_G »

Not sure if this is something that belongs in "Media" or "Importing".

I'm getting some info ready to import, but need to ask a question to make sure I set up and use the embedded image metadata correctly.

1) I understand that the Date field content is used to calculate the age of the person pictured. Does FH do this only when the image is selected for use as a "Headshot"? I was considering also using the date field to hold the download date for imaged records. Would I be using it in a way that will cause issues with other capabilities of FH7?

2) I believe that FH7 will import a limited number of embedded metadata fields from an image file. Can someone tell me the names of the embedded image metadata fields and the corresponding fields populated in the FH7 media library info pane. As I usually work with images on a Mac and FH7 is a Windows program, I may need to "inject" some embedded image metadata fields that the Mac doesn't typically use.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: Question about media files

Post by Mark1834 »

You can use the date however you want. The vast majority of my media records are document images, and I use the date as the date of the event recorded therein.

Most of my people images are not original photos, so the stored image data are of little use to me, and I manually enter my best guess of when the original image was created.
Mark Draper
KFN
Superstar

Post by KFN »

I don't recall seeing any metadata from the image being displayed.

I use tags and comments in my images and I don't see them. Now.. I could be looking in the wrong place (I'm new here) so I could be wrong!!
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Thanks, Mark. I'm just trying to make some rules for myself, so that things end up being consistent.
Gary Gauthier
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

KFN wrote: 18 Feb 2024 18:08 I don't recall seeing any metadata from the image being displayed.

I use tags and comments in my images and I don't see them. Now.. I could be looking in the wrong place (I'm new here) so I could be wrong!!
I believe that Windows uses its own set of metadata tags. They are neither part of the IPTC std. nor the EXIF. I think that the FH7-related data is being carried by those tags. Image metadata tags are an odd lot. One can create any embedded tag one wants and nobody will see it unless they know it's there.
Gary Gauthier
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Mark;
I tried using the event date instead of the download date in a test import. Seems to work better for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
Gary Gauthier
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Gary_G wrote: 18 Feb 2024 17:37 1) I understand that the Date field content is used to calculate the age of the person pictured. Does FH do this only when the image is selected for use as a "Headshot"? I was considering also using the date field to hold the download date for imaged records. Would I be using it in a way that will cause issues with other capabilities of FH7?
FH will automatically use the Media Date to calculate the age shown in the default caption for any photos in the Media tab of the Individual Property Box. It does not matter whether a Link to Face has been added.
In Reports, there is an option to omit the automatic Individual's Age from the Caption.
You can also use the Media tab Link Note to define a custom caption which overrides the automatic caption.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'imaged records'. If you mean source document images as opposed to photos then they should be attached to the Source Citation Media tabs where Individual Age is incalculable.
Gary_G wrote: 18 Feb 2024 17:37 2) I believe that FH7 will import a limited number of embedded metadata fields from an image file. Can someone tell me the names of the embedded image metadata fields and the corresponding fields populated in the FH7 media library info pane. As I usually work with images on a Mac and FH7 is a Windows program, I may need to "inject" some embedded image metadata fields that the Mac doesn't typically use.
See the Tools > Preferences... > Media tab and click Help which explains the Copy Image Tag Values to the Media Record option and the tag names used.
For me it used the tags highlighted below, which are NOT the EXIF tags:
image.png
image.png (20.18 KiB) Viewed 460 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Mike;

Thank you. I wasn't quick hove to say it in "FH-speak", but I understand what you said about media dates and was basically what I thought happened.

Based upon the tests I've run, I might be better to stay away from having FH7 fill things in from the embedded metadata. Because I'm importing from RM9 (Mac) to FH7 (Windows), it appears best to just fill out the media fields in RM9 and let FH7 populate the fields from the imported database.
Gary Gauthier
KFN
Superstar

Post by KFN »

Does this actually work?

I have tags in my images, I can see them when I view the image library and look at the Properties/Details for the image. But when I look at the Keywords in the media record all I see is the default keyword of "picture".

I do have the "Copy Image Tag Values to Media Record" selected in the Preferences/Media dialog when I imported a new GEDCOM and Media Folder!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

KFN, I suspect it does not apply to Media already linked to a GEDCOM, because you are not importing the Media files to new Media records. The imported GEDCOM already has the Media records and FH just copies them into the Project and if you choose the option it also copies the Media files, but the files are not actually imported.

Try adding a new image to creat a new Media record and then the tags should be loaded.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

KFN wrote: 18 Feb 2024 19:17 Does this actually work?
Yes, demonstrated in the video below at TC 1:40, give it a go.

https://youtu.be/qjzP-epaF9c?si=CVpsW66C9vgMu1Dm
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

There was a discussion here which might be of interest:
Question on image metadata - date + keywords (21497)
Lorna
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Thanks, Lorna. I did find that post, but it was a bit confusing.
Gary Gauthier
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

I intend covering Renaming and Keywording in my next video so will be researching this and demonstrating again then.
KFN
Superstar

Post by KFN »

I guess I was confused by the use of "When media items are added to a project". I naturally thought that I was adding an image to the project when I created the project from a GEDCOM, because the image was never in the project before the GEDCOM was use to create the project.!

Like so many things it is all in the understanding of the words used by the developers! But that's ok, the keywords are not important in my use of FH7.
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Jackson;

Would you be so kind as to try to drop me a message when your video is released?
Gary Gauthier
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

Gary_G wrote: 19 Feb 2024 12:38 Jackson;

Would you be so kind as to try to drop me a message when your video is released?
Gary, if you subscribe to the channel and click the bell you will get an automatic notification when released.
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Jackson;
I try not to "join" sites like YouTube and so can't subscribe to your channel.
Guess I'll just check fro time to time.
Gary Gauthier
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

Sorry Gary, but that is the notification process, I'm not even sure you need to join or be a Google client.

If I undertook to inform people personally I would simply forget :roll:
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

No problem, Jackson. I understand.
Gary Gauthier