* New version of Family Historian?

Questions about Installing FH, Migrating FH to another PC, and upgrading FH
Russell
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

New version of Family Historian?

Post by Russell »

I have just installed v7.0.22, and noticed that the terms and conditions stated specifically that it was the Windows version, and looking further the 'About Family Historian' screen also states that I have the Windows version of the software.

I haven't seen a previous mention of there being versions for other operating systems - I am currently running Windows 10 and cannot upgrade my PC to 11 so plan to look at installing a version of Linux next year.

It would be good to learn that I may still be able to use a native version of FH at that time, although I know that it is possible to run that for Windows with some extra work.

Have I missed an announcement from Calico Pie (quite likely :oops: )
Mark1834
Megastar

Re: New version of Family Historian?

Post by Mark1834 »

That's an impossible question to answer, as anybody outside CP who knows the answer will be working under a strict non-disclosure agreement... (I don't and I'm not 😊).

I have the same issue as neither my trusty 2011 vintage desktop nor 2015 laptop meet W11 requirements even though they both still work very well today. It's exceptionally unlikely that there will ever be a native Linux version of FH, but the good news is that FH7 works reasonably well under an up to date version of WINE (it was very flakey under older versions when it was first released).
Mark Draper
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Russell;

None of us knows what CP has planned. I do know that there have been one or more wishlist items that requested an FH version for other platforms. Personally; while I'd find it cheaper and more convenient to have a Linux or Mac version, I'm Ok with using Parallels and Windows 11 (ARM version) on my M1 Mac mini. I've seen FH competitors try to field versions for different platforms and have also seen how much trouble it caused them. So; I wouldn't hold my breath in the hopes that CP will even mention FH for other platforms... at least not until they have tried it internally and beaten any bugs to death. :lol:
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Mind you, somebody looking for a cheaper alternative to upgrading a W10 system when support ends 18 months from now is unlikely to transition to the Mac world…
Mark Draper
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

There are ways to install Win 11 on to unsupported hardware. A quick search turns up several ways to do it.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

That was a good prompt to see what’s possible. I have an old Intel NUC that these days just sits under the TV as a better streamer than the built-in web browser. It’s based on a 6th generation i-5, so well below the officially supported W11 spec, but the mainboard is fully TPM-2 compliant.

A clean install of W11 worked fine, with no nags about being unsupported. It’s also my FH6 test box for new plugins, and that installed without any problems.

I wouldn’t risk it on the other hardware though - they’re just too old.
Mark Draper
amuse
Platinum

Post by amuse »

I'm running Linux Ubuntu on my PC and have FH 7.0.22 running under Windows 10 on Wine without any problems.
You don't know what you don't know, until you find out you didn't know.