* Changes to notification defaults

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
jelv
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Changes to notification defaults

Post by jelv »

When you've tried everything else, RTFM

https://www.fhug.org.uk/forum/app.php/help/faq#f8r0
John Elvin
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I may be able to offer another option... if it's worth putting the work in.

I can add an option in the user's profile to automatically subscribe to new topics only (i.e. not to replies -- the replies option would be separate). Snag: I don't have a way to default this to YES for new users, so I would have to default 'replies' to Yes as now to ensure they saw responses to their topic, but it might be useful for existing users.

I may also be able to set individual forums so that authors will automatically be subscribed to new topics (not to replies). If I did this, it's hard to see which forums it shouldn't apply to. It should not affect anything except topics you've created, nor will it send you emails unless you've turned the relevant email notification option on.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Helen, but you've lost me (again) and I don't understand which classes of user will get what settings :?:
To me, there seem to be some contradictions in your description. Please refer explicitly to the settings involved.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I can add an new option to everybody's profile settings under 'Editing posting defaults' to automatically subscribe them to topics they create (in addition to the option to 'Notify me upon replies by default'.). I cannot set this to YES by default, so it doesn't help new users but may be of value to existing users. It would be set to NO unless the user modified it.

For new users to be notified of replies to topics they create, I would continue to default 'Notify me upon replies by default' to YES and they will receive notifications of replies to both topics they create and topics they participate in (unless they turn it off as previously discussed.)

I can additionally configure on a forum-by-forum basis the option to automatically subscribe all authors by default to new topics (topics they create); they can turn this off before posting.

As before, the settings for how individuals receive notifications would be unchanged.
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

What is the difference between what you are proposing and the existing Auto subscribe new topics option?
John Elvin
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

jelv wrote: 31 Jan 2024 17:27 What is the difference between what you are proposing and the existing Auto subscribe new topics option?
There isn't one, only a 'Notify me upon replies by default' option, which includes all topics somebody has contributed to, not just the ones they've created.

P.S. Clear your caches -- I turned it on briefly to double check I was stating what it did accurately.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Are we in danger of not seeing the wood for the trees? The main issue was that some new users didn’t realise when they had received a reply to their question. The change which Helen has already implemented addresses that problem because they will now get an email telling them.

If they later decide to disable the emails they will know that the onus is on them to visit the site to check for replies. Whether they do that by simply searching for their own post or by setting a request for a notification is up to them. Is there much added benefit in tinkering with any more settings?

I do realise that, as Helen has said, there are many existing users who have never yet made a post, which means that if they do make a post they won’t automatically get an email about replies. But many of them may only want to browse, not ask questions. And many others may have forgotten their login details so would have to create a new account anyway if they wanted to ask something.
Lorna
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

Would it be possible via the database to set the Notify me upon replies by default option to on for all users who haven't made any posts?
John Elvin
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

LornaCraig wrote: 31 Jan 2024 18:00 Are we in danger of not seeing the wood for the trees? The main issue was that some new users didn’t realise when they had received a reply to their question. The change which Helen has already implemented addresses that problem because they will now get an email telling them.

I do realise that, as Helen has said, there are many existing users who have never yet made a post, which means that if they do make a post they won’t automatically get an email about replies. But many of them may only want to browse, not ask questions. And many others may have forgotten their login details so would have to create a new account anyway if they wanted to ask something.
Mostly they contact the admins and we sort out their current account, but I agree about wood and trees. (Plus, I love not to do work).

However, I do wonder if an option for auto-subscribing to topics you create would be helpful, even to existing users.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

jelv wrote: 31 Jan 2024 18:04 Would it be possible via the database to set the Notify me upon replies by default option to on for all users who haven't made any posts?
No.

Because we can't be sure that's what they want. They may have reviewed the options and gone: yep, that's for me...

Also: see prior remarks about not hacking the database.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Oddly, I don't even have that option available.

image.png
image.png (52.28 KiB) Viewed 1361 times

Bill
Bill Henshaw
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

BillH wrote: 31 Jan 2024 18:12 Oddly, I don't even have that option available.
That's because it isn't enabled, pending this discussion.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 31 Jan 2024 17:19
I can additionally configure on a forum-by-forum basis the option to automatically subscribe all authors by default to new topics (topics they create); they can turn this off before posting.

As before, the settings for how individuals receive notifications would be unchanged.
I hate to beat a dead horse, but no one has proffered an answer to my question yet.

Why would someone want to subscribe to a topic if they didn't want to get notified?

I don't have notifications turned on and wouldn't want them turned on. Why would I want to be subscribed? What would that buy me? I just don't see a reason to be subscribed. I must be missing something.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 31 Jan 2024 18:15
BillH wrote: 31 Jan 2024 18:12 Oddly, I don't even have that option available.
That's because it isn't enabled, pending this discussion.
I see. My confusion. :oops:
Bill Henshaw
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

BillH wrote: 31 Jan 2024 18:18 I hate to beat a dead horse, but no one has proffered an answer to my question yet.

Why would someone want to subscribe to a topic if they didn't want to get notified?
I don't know either.

But... devil's advocate... why would somebody create a topic and not want to subscribe to it?
I don't have notifications turned on and wouldn't want them turned on. Why would I want to be subscribed? What would that buy me? I just don't see a reason to be subscribed. I must be missing something.
The most recent proposal under discussion would not subscribe you to anything except a topic you created. Would that be a problem?

Edited to add: If you really don't want any notifications go here and turn them all off:
image.png
image.png (128.78 KiB) Viewed 1350 times
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 31 Jan 2024 18:27 The most recent proposal under discussion would not subscribe you to anything except a topic you created. Would that be a problem?

Edited to add: If you really don't want any notifications go here and turn them all off:

image.png
I was just curious. Since I see no benefit to being subscribed to a topic unless you want notifications, I guess I really don't see a problem with being subscribed since I have all notifications turned off.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I have a life (no, really :D) so will be personfully resisting returning to this topic until 5th February.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Helen, I had no idea that the Auto subscribe new topic option was something you had added to tinker with.
You forgot to mention that wrinkle and so it led to an unnecessary lengthy discussion about its features!
It is fairly clear that many other contributors to this thread were similarly confused.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 31 Jan 2024 21:34 Helen, I had no idea that the Auto subscribe new topic option was something you had added to tinker with.
You forgot to mention that wrinkle and so it led to an unnecessary lengthy discussion about its features!
It is fairly clear that many other contributors to this thread were similarly confused.
:oops: :oops: :oops: Apologies to all -- I was turning it on for a couple of minutes and then turning it off, at intervals, to check out how it worked...

It was actually a fairly helpful discussion about its features... helpful to me at least. I just wished I'd noticed it going on at the time. And that I hadn't confused myself and referred to the wrong option when I was trying to clarify what the change I'd actually asked about would do. (I've edited that post so anybody coming late to the discussion will be clear about the impact of the original suggestion).
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

As there's no support, I shan't take forward any changes that affect existing users.
Ruth_W
Diamond

Post by Ruth_W »

As a relatively new and quiet user, I would quite like an email notification when there’s a response to my (initiated) post (but not on the odd occasions where I just reply, like here). I tend to use the forum only on Wednesdays, when I scroll down the digest, or when searching for an answer to something that’s come up using FH. When I have posted a question here, I’ve been fortunate enough to get an answer within hours, but a notification would mean I don’t need to keep checking back.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Ruth_W wrote: 07 Feb 2024 08:36 As a relatively new and quiet user, I would quite like an email notification when there’s a response to my (initiated) post (but not on the odd occasions where I just reply, like here). I tend to use the forum only on Wednesdays, when I scroll down the digest, or when searching for an answer to something that’s come up using FH. When I have posted a question here, I’ve been fortunate enough to get an answer within hours, but a notification would mean I don’t need to keep checking back.
Ruth,

If you go to ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=post while you're logged in, and set the option I've highlighted below to Yes, you'll get notified of replies to posts you initiate and posts you reply to.
Screenshot 2024-02-07 105804.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 105804.png (46.82 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Then go to ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options, and set the option I've highlighted below to Email.
Screenshot 2024-02-07 110201.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 110201.png (88.64 KiB) Viewed 778 times
To NOT receive emails about posts you've only replied to, you can follow the instructions in a notification email you receive, or click on the spanner at the top or bottom of the topic and click on 'Unsubscribe topic'.
Screenshot 2024-02-07 110556.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 110556.png (25.91 KiB) Viewed 778 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Instead of using the Unsubscribe topic option that Helen described you can untick the OPTION highlighted below when you are composing your Reply.

image.png
image.png (19.93 KiB) Viewed 775 times