* FGS and Narrative Reports within a Book

Questions about the various ways of sharing your research with others
Shiriki
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

FGS and Narrative Reports within a Book

Post by Shiriki »

Hi

I have been compiling a book with a number of sections with free text on blank pages, family trees but also including the following items:

• Family Group Sheet of the main root person
• An ancestor report of the main root person with all image sources appearing below each citation at the end of the report

However, I have found that it seems impossible to inhibit the citations and thus the source images from appearing after the Family Group Sheet whilst retaining them after the Narrative Report. This leads to a lot of duplication.

In an attempt to stop duplication, I started a new Family Group Sheet and unticked the relevant boxes within the options once displayed to just show the relevant facts/sentences.
I saved this as a custom report and then via the publish book menu edited my book and added this into my book within the ‘Current Book Items’ pane.
However, it would appear that the options under the ‘Book Settings…’ button overrides the setting within the custom Family Group Sheet and all the source images appear at the end of that report. Unless I have missed something I believe it is not possible to have some reports with citations and sources appended and other reports within the same book without such information appended.

If that is the case, I can only achieve what I would like by exporting my Family Group Sheet Report as a separate PDF, then using another application, editing as required to remove titles, page numbers etc within footers and headers then once satisfied endeavour to paste the individual pages back within my book page by page as images to a number of blank pages inserted at the required locations within the book, and accept that data within the Family Group Sheet will not appear within any index. This would seem to be fraught with danger and likely upset the appearance of the finished book.

Hopefully I have explained my predicament and if confirmed is it worth requesting to Calico Pie that it would be nice to have control over individual sections within a book as opposed to the current overall ‘Book Settings…’?

As an aside can anyone advise me as to the difference between a ‘Standard Build’ and ‘Full Rebuild’ when generating a book?

Regards to all
Shiriki
tatewise
Megastar

Re: FGS and Narrative Reports within a Book

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it would seem you are correct that the Book Settings... affect all Reports within the Book.
So all Reports have a similar Sources section.

IMO it is reasonable to report that problem to CP.

When you get the Standard/Full Rebuild window click its Help button for an explanation.
It is the FH Help page for Workspace 6: The Book Window > Book Build Types.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Shiriki
Diamond

Post by Shiriki »

Have raised support ticket #285273 with Calico Pie.
Will report back any response.

Cheers
Shiriki
Shiriki
Diamond

Post by Shiriki »

Response from Calico Pie as follows:

Thank you for your email, we have passed it over to our development team for review.
Source settings are for the whole book as you have discovered.
In the meantime the work around is to insert the number of blank pages for the section you do not want sources on and compile them as a separate book and then add them back in when printing or use a PDF manager to rearrange things.

I will post in the event of any developments