* Upgrading from FH 6 to FH 7 and on a new windpws 11 laptop

Questions about Installing FH, Migrating FH to another PC, and upgrading FH
BrianNW
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Upgrading from FH 6 to FH 7 and on a new windpws 11 laptop

Post by BrianNW »

I originally bouhgt fh4 and since then I have upgraded first to version 5 and then to version 6. I now want to install fh 7 on a new windows 11 laptop.

On my windows 11 laptop do I need to install fh4 first, upgrade it to version 5 and then upgrade it to version 6 before I buy and install version 7?

My current fh files are v6.x on my old laptop running windows 10. What do I need to do to make sure that I have the most current version of my fh project files copied from windows10 to windows11 ? (I am sure this will have been asked before but I hope that someone can point me in the right direction)

Thank you in anticipation

Brian
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Upgrading from FH 6 to FH 7 and on a new windpws 11 laptop

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

You can install V7 without going via the previous versions.

Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide is essential reading in your situation -- it covers migrating settings as well as data. After you're read it, ask if there's still anything that isn't clear. You might find it safer when migrating settings to update to V7 on your old laptop first, although somebody will tell us it isn't necessary... (You won't have any licenng issues -- V7 can be activated on 2 PCs simultaneously, and if you ever want to activate it on a third, you just need to deactivate it on the old laptop , which you can do without having the old laptop to hand).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I strongly recommend that you migrate FH V6.2 to the new PC and only then upgrade to FH V7.
The reason is that you are familiar with FH V6.2 so it will be easier to confirm the migration has worked well.

There is a detailed migration guide in the FHUG Knowledge Base that ensures not only all Projects but also all your custom settings get transferred to the new PC. See Family Historian Copy and Migration Guide.

You do NOT have to go back to FH V4. Install the FH V6.0 upgrade file you purchased and enter both its licence key and also the FH V5 licence key. If you have lost any of these then we can explain how to retrieve them.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BrianNW
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by BrianNW »

Thank you both for your advice.
I will install V7 on my old laptop first and then using the info from the Installation and Migration Guide to transfer to my Windows11 system.
Any issues that I have then I will come back to you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suggest you spend a little while becoming familiar with FH V7 before migrating.
e.g.
See the FH V7 Help > Notes on Upgrading to Version 7 especially How to Restore Property Box Customizations and Notes on Queries because they may be upset by FH V7. Also, be aware of the New Citation Window which often confuses users who upgrade.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry