* Is there a Media source/citation Template?

Questions about using and managing media in FH
AnnabelUK
Silver
Family Historian: V7

Is there a Media source/citation Template?

Post by AnnabelUK »

Hello
I've been trying to find a Source/Citation template for photos. I've tried the "Find More" button in the Create Source from Template. I've looked through the list, clicking on the + sign to see more information about each of the templates that look possible.

Thanks
Anna
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Is there a Media source/citation Template?

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

If you're using the Essentials collection, the Miscellaneous Unpublished Document/Artifact fits...
One source record per unpublished document or artifact. Examples might include handwritten notes in a family bible, a 'Moving Home' card, a wedding 'Order of the Day', a payslip, a school appointment letter, a driving licence, a wedding invitation, a photo, a hand drawn family tree, etc.
If you're using the Advanced collection, try the Artifact templates (from the Archives & Artifacts sub category) -- either the Archived Material or Private Holdings version.

If it's a published photo, I'd cite the publication.
AnnabelUK
Silver

Post by AnnabelUK »

Thank you Helen

I was looking at the definitions, I think, rather than the description; I won't forget that in future. Published/Unpublished would me uploading a headstone photo to Findagrave count as published?

Thanks
Anna
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

AnnabelUK wrote: 09 Jan 2024 11:15 would me uploading a headstone photo to Findagrave count as published?
It's important where you got the photo from.

So, if it's your own photo, for example, you'd cite it as an Unpublished Artifact. If you subsequently uploaded it to Findagrave (presumably with a transcription, location etc.) and then somebody else subsequently cited the record you created, they'd probably cite the website. They wouldn't cite the original photo, because they haven't seen that.

But there are as many opinions about citing as there are family historians, so somebody else might argue differently. You have to pick a way of working that make sense to you, because you won't stick to it if it doesn't.
AnnabelUK
Silver

Post by AnnabelUK »

How you've differentiated between a photo I took and one I found elsewhere, and the treatment of each makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks for your help.

Anna
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

As an incidental aside, if I pick up a photo from somewhere else, I always (he said hopefully) take care to record any licensing and copyright-related data. For instance, stuff may be copyright of the original photographer but licensed for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons Licence.

Where exactly (or even, if) you want to keep such info is up to you but I tend to paste it into the Picture Note of the Media Record for the image, and then create a Link Note for a particular use of that image which is usually very similar to the Picture Note but specific to that fact, ticking the "Use Link Note as Caption".
Adrian