* exporting to My Heritage?

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
jojo
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

exporting to My Heritage?

Post by jojo »

A relative has asked if I can export our family tree to her. She is using My Heritage site. Is it possible to GEDCOM the information to her on this site? Thanks
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: exporting to My Heritage?

Post by tatewise »

Please confirm you are still running FH V5?

The best way to export your Project is to use the Export Gedcom File plugin from the Plugin Store.
It has a dedicated GEDCOM Destination setting for (MYH) MyHeritage Family Tree.

Your last posting Installing current FH data onto new computer running Windows 10 (20328) suggests that you don't have any Media involved which simplifies things.

You will have to agree with your relative how to transfer the GEDCOM file to them.
Also we can refer them to the plugin help details for importing the GEDCOM into MyHeritage.

We can discuss the details in due course...
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

It seems I am still running FH V5 although I did try to update and thought I had! Unfortunately I have no idea what the Plugin Store is or where it may be! Any help and advice you can give will be much appreciated, thank you
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See FHUG KB Family Historian Plugins and the FH Tools > Plugins... command and its Help button.
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

Thanks I'll take a look :)
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

Phew, this is beyond me I'm afraid, like learning a new language! Thanks for your help and advice Mike, I will keep looking and hoping to understand :-)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Please explain exactly what problem you are having and I will explain what to do.
Which aspect is like learning a new language?

Have you downloaded and installed the plugin?

Have you run the plugin yet?

I appreciate the plugin dialogue looks intimidating but that is because genealogy products are complex like FH and they don't all adhere to the GEDCOM standards. However, the plugin defaults will probably work OK for you.

Once you have used it a few times it will become familiar.
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

I think my problem Mike is that I fear losing all my tree! I am 74 and have been inputting data for a fair few years now but that's as far as I've gone. Do I just press the download on the screen for the plug in? What will happen once I download it? Sorry to be so ridiculous about this!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

jojo wrote: 05 Jan 2024 15:11 Sorry to be so ridiculous about this!
I'm not going to jump in and confuse things, but I will just say that Mike is the safest pair of hands to help you through the process. And the plugin (a helper program) will not change a thing in your tree, so all your work is safe. (That isn't true of all plugins, but this one only ever produces a copy of data).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I imagine you found your way to the https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... edcom-file plugin page and the Download button is the one shown below:

image.png
image.png (18.25 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

Click on that Download button and it may simply download the Export Gedcom File.fh_lua file to your PC probably in the Downloads folder. So use Windows File Explorer to find that file and double-click it to install it.
Alternatively, it may start the install process automatically. Either way, you will get the message shown below:

image.png
image.png (17.4 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

Click OK and OK again to complete the installation process for the plugin.

Then in FH, use the Tools > Plugins... command and you will see the Export Gedcom File listed as shown below, so select it and click Run to open the plugin dialogue similar to that shown originally in the Plugin Store.
( Ignore all the other plugins listed in my screenshot as I have many and you will have just one. )

image.png
image.png (64.16 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

For the time being, just click the Close Plugin button bottom right and then confirm here that you have successfully downloaded, installed, and run the plugin. We can then move on to the next step.
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

Thanks you so much Mike for that affirmation. I will wait until I have the time tomorrow to follow your guide as my granddaughter is here at the moment and through the evening.

Thanks also to you ColeValleyGirl for your support!

Your time is much appreciated. :)
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

Hi Mike, my computer says I have successfully download and installed the plug in file but a pop up tells me there is an error 'Family Historian Pkugins\Export Gedcom File.fh_lua:3950 attempt to index a nil value' I highlighted the Gedcom export but it won't run. Any ideas....?
Last edited by tatewise on 06 Jan 2024 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected typo for Mile to Mike
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm sorry about that.
The problem is that your FH V5 is nearly 10 years old and I cannot check my plugins against that version.

To get the plugin to work you need to make a small change to its script as explained below.

Open the File > Plugins... window and click the More >> button so it says << Less and a column of buttons appears on the right.

Select the Export Gedcom File plugin and click the Edit... button on the right.

In the window that opens use Edit > Find... command and set Find what: to PDX Font and click Find Next.

That should find a line of text starting intFontSize, strFontName = iup_gui.GetRegKey

Edit that line by adding two minus signs at the start like this -- intFontSize, strFontName = iup_gui.GetRegKey

Then use the File > Save command and close the window using the X top right.

The Export Gedcom File plugin should now Run and open the initial dialogue successfully.
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

Hi Mike, me again. I believe I've now been successful in running the plug in, thank you. Where do I go from here, please? Sorry to be taking up so much of your time.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok, in the Export Gedcom File plugin dialogue select GEDCOM Destination: (MYH) MyHeritage Family Tree as shown below. Your dialogue may look slightly different as FH V5 has no Rich Text Formatting.
I know it looks quite intimidating but usually the settings can be left as they are and only needed for special cases.

From earlier postings, it seems you don't have any Media images or documents attached to your Project.
If so it is best to set Multimedia Preference: (WIPE~ALL) Exclude all the Multimedia files and Media Records entirely

Finally, click the Click here to export GEDCOM & Media files in chosen format... button.

image.png
image.png (79.46 KiB) Viewed 1118 times

On completion there will be a Closing Memo as shown below. Click the Win/File Explorer button to open the Project ...\Public\Export folder that holds the exported GEDCOM file that needs to be sent to your relative.
We can then discuss what methods are possible to send that GECOM file.

image.png
image.png (26.16 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

Hi Mike, I clicked on Export Gedcom File but did not get a pop up box which asked me to select GEDCOM Destination! There was an option to add all or individual records. I've clicked a few buttons with no success. There was an option to exclude Multi media files etc. I must be doing something wrong but what I have no idea sorry
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think you are using the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File... command built into FH which will produce a GEDCOM file but is not ideally suitable for MyHeritage.

Use the Tools > Plugins... command as you did yesterday, then select the Export Gedcom File plugin and click the Run button.
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

You were correct! I now have an error message when I 'close memo'. ..e\Family Historian\Plugins\Export Gedcom File.fh_lua:10671: attempt to call global 'fhSetStringEncoding' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...e\Family Historian\Plugins\Export Gedcom File.fh_lua:10671: in function 'ExportGedcom'
...e\Family Historian\Plugins\Export Gedcom File.fh_lua:10223: in function <...e\Family Historian\Plugins\Export Gedcom File.fh_lua:10211>
(tail call): ?
[C]: in function 'MainLoop'
...e\Family Historian\Plugins\Export Gedcom File.fh_lua:2755: in function 'ShowDialogue'
...e\Family Historian\Plugins\Export Gedcom File.fh_lua:10491: in function 'GUI_MainDialogue'
...e\Family Historian\Plugins\Export Gedcom File.fh_lua:10702: in main chunk
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

OMG I am an idiot and didn't refer back to my notes you sent. Done it by pressing the button you told me to!!! :-)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry about the error on line 10671 again due to the age of FH V5.

Use a similar process as I described yesterday to avoid the error.

Select the Export Gedcom File plugin and click the Edit... button on the right.

This time use the Edit > Find... command and set Find what: to fhSetString and click Find Next twice.

That should find a line like this fhSetStringEncoding("UTF-8") -- V4.2

Again insert two minus signs at the start like this -- fhSetStringEncoding("UTF-8") -- V4.2

Then use the File > Save command and close the window.

These problems will be fixed the next time the plugin is published in the Plugin Store.
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

All done Mike, thanks again :)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So do you now have a <project name> MYH UTF8.ged GEDCOM file in Project ...\Public\Export\ folder?

Have you agreed with your relative how to send it to them?

What size is it? If not too large it may be possible to send it as an Email attachment.
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

I do have that file in my Documents folder Mike and it is 62.6kb

I needed to make sure I could try to get it to her so will now get in touch and ask her how she wants me to send it. Fingers crossed all will be well. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help, there is no way I could have done this myself. Is it possible to donate a little something as a way to say thank you?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Can you explain why it is in your Documents folder rather than the Project's ...\Public\Export\ folder?
Did you alter the plugin Export Folder or move the GEDCOM file?

62.6KB may be small enough to attach to an Email as it is only about the size of a large image file.

Refer your relative to the Export Gedcom File (MYH) MyHeritage Family Tree Builder plugin help & advice page at https://pluginstore.family-historian.co ... ee-builder which explains how to migrate the GEDCOM file into MyHeritage by two methods.
jojo
Platinum

Post by jojo »

I found the file through clicking on my documents folder but it is in my family tree project folder under that name. I did tell you how confused I am....;-)
I will pass on that link to my cousin thank you and will let you know if we are successful.