* Transkribus and Parrot

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Transkribus and Parrot

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Has anyone else tried Transkribus?

Possibly not so useful for straightforward documents, but...

Last year, a team of 3 of us worked on the transcription and translation of 9 pages of Latin Manorial rolls from the late 17th century. Just the transcription stage took several weeks because of the handwriting ('is that a c or a t? an o or an e?') and the plentiful abbreviations used in legal Latin of the period.

We than had to slog through the translation to English, plus producing name and place indexes and summaries of the property transactions involved...

Overall the project took just under a year (admittedly things slowed down while I had a heart transplant). The results are now available at the Dorset History Centre, Hertfordshire Archives and via the Stalbridge History Society.

The same team are now embarking on another set of Dorset Manorial rolls -- 123 pages of mixed English and Latin from the same period.

Using Transkribus, I've got a first pass rough transcription in a few hours. We'll still need to refine it, including Latin abbreviations, and do the translation, but I reckon we'll get it all done in under 6 months. Significantly faster :). And that's before I explore what ChatGPT can offer in the summarisation and name indexing spaces.

=====================================================

And on the subject of Parrots... has anyone tried parrot.ai?

I don't have a suitable .wav file, but I've heard good reports about its ability to produce transcriptions of oral interviews. (I've also heard it has problems with Dorset accents, but don't we all :) ?)
PeterR
Megastar

Re: Transkribus and Parrot

Post by PeterR »

Google Lens is also quite good with handwritten material and has an even wider choice of languages. You just open an image file in Google then select Search image with Google from the right-click menu.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Does Google Lens work on a PC -- it keeps trying to get me to download an Android App (which frankly would be useless for my purposes). I need to upload 100+ images at a time and work on them.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Yes Google Lens works fine on my ancient laptop running Windows 10.
I've just googled "Can I use Google Lens on a PC?" and the response was: "In 2021, Google Lens came to laptop and desktop users through the Chrome web browser - where it can be accessed by right-clicking on any online image and then selecting "Search Image with Google". There are two ways to use Google Lens to find out more about images."
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Ok. My images are not online, and aren't going to be so.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

I found this online: "According to Google’s terms of service, any images you upload to their platforms like Google Photos, Google Reverse Image Search, and Google Lens remain your property. Google does not claim ownership rights to your content."

Images for which I've used Google Lens have not been published online and I don't store them online other than as backups in Dropbox and/or Google Drive.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm afraid I don't trust Google with any of my content... And anyway, wouldn't I still need to put them online somewhere, to point Google Lens to?

Plus it sounds as it if does one image at a time, which would be tedious...
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 29 Dec 2023 14:48 Has anyone else tried Transkribus?
Yes. I used Transkribus on old (1700-1750 ) hand-written documents in Luxembourgish and French, and It helped me a lot in deciphering these documents; It does not recognise everything, but enough to understand the general meaning of some acts.

Of course it depends on the quality of the manuscript.

Olivier
I started with Reunion > 30 years ago, later TMG.
I now use FH as main software, TNG to share my data.
Transkribus to decipher old texts.
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

Yes, I have recently played with using Transkribus to read wills and am pleased with the results.
Trevor Rix
ississi
Diamond

Post by ississi »

Hi,
yes I've had one go with Transkribus after reading your post, to read a will and probate from 1822 and to transcribe it for me. Did a decent job, some corrections need, mostly place names and running two words together. Much faster than typing it all out myself. Many thanks for the pointer :)