* Media Column Configuration - Expression Selection

Questions about using and managing media in FH
Chrisv
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Media Column Configuration - Expression Selection

Post by Chrisv »

I am trying to create two new columns in the Media Records List to tell me where I have attached a Source to a Media record. This goes back to a previous FH Forum topic where Mike explained the two different areas that can be used to attach a source record - In my case, to be used to record the 'giver/supplier' of a photo. I have a number of media records that have the sources attached to Option 1 and am converting these to be attached to Option 2. I would like the two new columns to tell me where they are attached to assist with making my Media more consistent. The column could for e.g. tell me the Source Title and might be labelled "Option1" and "Option2 to differentiate the two.
Here is where Mike was explaining the two different entry locations for the Source:
tatewise wrote: 15 Sep 2023 17:53 FH is working correctly.
Your two methods attach the Source to different points in the data structure.

Option 1 attaches the Source to a subfield of the Individual Record where it links to the Media Record, so is not attached to the Media Record itself. In this case, when you select the linked Media the Source is shown in the Sources For yellow pane.

Option 2 attaches the Source directly to the Media Record. In this case, you must open the Media Property Box to see the Source in the Sources For yellow pane.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Media Column Configuration - Expression Selection

Post by tatewise »

I think you are talking about the Media tab of the Records Window.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to list those two options where the Media is used as Columns in that Media tab.
Those kinds of 'where used' links are not very well supported in FH.

The Media tab has a Links column that tells you how many times it is used.

If you open the Media Property Box then a Links tab lists where the Media record is used.
If any entry has a yellow scroll Source record icon then 'Option 2' has been applied.
If any entry has an Individual or Family record icon then maybe 'Option 1' applies.
Click on the [+] on the left to expand the listing to see the details of where the Media is attached.

Another option is to run the Where Used Record Links plugin on the Media record.

However, 'Option 1' does not directly link to the Media record so the Source will not appear in the above listings and will need a more detailed inspection to find it.

There is a New Wish List Request for Better ways to find where records are used (22561) that you might like to contribute to.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Chrisv
Famous

Post by Chrisv »

Thanks Mike!
So I presume it would also not be possible to run a query that will show either Option 1 or Option 2 results? At least I can go through them and recognize them from the Links Tab.
Thanks for your help!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Correct. The same Expression limitations apply almost everywhere.
The only alternative would be a custom plugin that searches the Project specifically for your criteria.
But since this is a once-off cleanup process the plugin would not get used much.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry