* Label Text in Facts

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
McHooty
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Label Text in Facts

Post by McHooty »

Hi Nick

Probably a silly question, but here goes;

I have modified many of my facts to include labelled text in the Note field and customised the fact sentences to pick up these details. If I use AS to input the census/birth details etc. the labelled text is missing from the Note, but the sentence is my customised one.

Am I seeing this correctly, and if so is there anything I can do to adjust this ? I realize that AS would probably not be able to put the details to the Labels, but the headings themselves would save a bit of time (at the moment I use an AutoHotKey shortcut to put the Labels in place).

Thanks
Michael
Michael Huteson

I may be getting older, but the hills aren't getting higher !
NickWalker
Megastar

Re: Label Text in Facts

Post by NickWalker »

Can you give me an example of (1) what your labelled text should look like and (2) what AS is putting into the note? (I assume the answer to number 2 is nothing). It may be possible for AS to help you with your census entries depending on what you're doing.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Not sure if this is relevant, but FH has a feature that can automatically add Note text Labels when a Fact is added.
See Tools > Fact Types... then Edit... and Advanced... for Auto-Create Note: and check the Help.
See FHUG Knowledge Base Entering Standard and Custom Fields for Facts under Labelled Note Meta-fields where the last paragraph explains the process.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
McHooty
Platinum

Post by McHooty »

Apologies for the tardy reply - forgot to tick the reply notification box :oops:

1). I've included screen shots of my modified Census Fact definition and one of the Property Box showing the sentence in use.
2). Yes, AS puts nothing into the Note.

I tend to use the Individual Narrative Report modified to use facts that incorporate my modified sentences, therefore most of my facts have been amended to have Labelled Text auto-created in Notes and I manually insert details for the sentence to pick up.

Census Fact Sentence.png
Census Fact Sentence.png (38.67 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Census Fact Auto-Note.png
Census Fact Auto-Note.png (16.84 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Property Box Sentence.png
Property Box Sentence.png (17.21 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Thanks
Michael Huteson

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Michael

AS can't quite do what you want with census entries, but it can come quite close...

If you use the Census Template Editor (under the Tools menu) you could edit the existing templates. e.g. you could edit the England 1921 template and then update one-by-one the 'marriage or Orphanhood' and 'occupation' and 'Place of work' columns and choose the option to append to the census event local note
image.png
image.png (62.92 KiB) Viewed 806 times
The Place of Work by default gets appended to the occupation local note so if you wanted that to be appended to the census entry instead, it would no longer get added to the occupation note.

If you go to Tools and Options and then Census options you could choose the option to make local notes private. This would result in something like this (just showing a couple of columns for this example):
image.png
image.png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 806 times
An issue is that the note labels won't match the names you want, unless you rename the columns.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
McHooty
Platinum

Post by McHooty »

Back after unexpected layoff !!
Have had a play with your suggestions, Nick.
As you say, AS can come close, but not quite there. In the end I've decided to stick with what I have been doing. However, I have learnt some things about AS that I didn't know and that might come in useful further down the line so not a wasted exercise.
Many Thanks for your help.
Michael Huteson