* Draft reply lost on Preview

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
Mark1834
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Draft reply lost on Preview

Post by Mark1834 »

I generally only log in when I want to post a comment. A couple of times recently I’ve clicked on the Reply button, completed the login details from my password manager (NordPass), composed a reply, clicked on Preview, only to get a “you must be logged in to reply” challenge and see my text blown away.

I am logged in (how else could I compose a reply?). I doubt it’s a time out, as both times they’ve been just brief comments, not a lengthy essay.

There’s a workaround - copy the draft text before previewing and paste back - but it’s annoying and shouldn’t be necessary.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Draft reply lost on Preview

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'll just nip off and rewrite phpBB... :lol:

Other workarounds involve logging in before hitting reply, so the system knows who is replying (there might be some caching of info going on), and composing anything long/complex elsewhere and pasting it in, so that if you do lose it, you don't have to recompose.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Unfortunately, we use the standard PHPBB so unless the developers of PHPBB can fix the problem, there is not much I can do. I can only suggest using the Remember me option so you are safely logged in BEFORE posting.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I must admit, until about half an hour ago, I didn’t know the first thing about phpBB, but if you can cope with the inevitable technobabble that accompanies that type of site, it’s worth having a browse around phpBB’s own support pages at https://www.phpbb.com/.

I came across several references to issues that have come up on FHUG before, so while they won’t solve the problem, they can provide a useful context.
Mark Draper