* Thumbnail Update

Questions about using and managing media in FH
rfj1001
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Thumbnail Update

Post by rfj1001 »

I'm going through all my image files and inverting all the ones that were probably from microfiches/films (ie black and white reversed).

The screenshot shows what happens after I invert and save the jpg. The full size image is correct but the thumbnail does not update

Is there a better way of updating these thumbnails other than unlinking and relinking

Many thanks.
zzz.png
zzz.png (372.53 KiB) Viewed 749 times
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Thumbnail Update

Post by Jane »

Just go to Tools>Preferences and Advanced from the General tab and set it to Load as needed, then close your Project and reopen and change the setting back.

If that does not do it you can manually delete the thumbnail cache from the project, do not delete the other caches.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

A half-decent modern PC doesn’t really need the image cache (particularly if images are stored on an SSD). A lot of users leave it on load as necessary permanently, so you always see the live image file and avoid problems with a bloated cache.
Mark Draper
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In case you don't know, the thumbnail cache is in the project .fh_data subfolder where the GEDCOM file exists and in the \Cache\ThumbCache.dat file, which can be deleted at any time.

I continue to be dismayed that CP have not provided a convenient user option to delete it.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
rfj1001
Superstar

Post by rfj1001 »

Thanks all.

Load as needed was the better option for me as my pc config should hopefully handle it very easily.