* importing gedcom + media from MyHeritage

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
OlivierM
Famous
Family Historian: V7

importing gedcom + media from MyHeritage

Post by OlivierM »

Hello,

When I import a MH gedcom including media links, the media links appear as "broken" because they refer to internet links.
Many other programs automatically download the linked medias, rename them and create the necessary links.
FH does not.
Is there a plugin that makes import from internet linlked media possible?

Thank you in advance.

PS: I know it is possible to use FTB to generate a Gedcom and a local media folder. However in my case, FTB does not export all media, for a reason I ignore. That is why I look for direct import from internet.
I started with Reunion > 30 years ago, later TMG.
I now use FH as main software, TNG to share my data.
Transkribus to decipher old texts.
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: importing gedcom + media from MyHeritage

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The recommendation for MyHeritage is to go via Family Tree Builder: Importing to Family Historian.

I'm not aware of a plugin that will do what you want.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have attempted to use a plugin to download media from URL but the snag is gaining access to the online account.
The current plugin Lua toolset does not support the https secure protocol needed to sign in with your Username & Password.

Like Helen, I suggest you use FTB and plug the gaps of missing Media manually.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

OlivierM wrote: 15 Oct 2023 07:59 Many other programs automatically download the linked medias, rename them and create the necessary links.
FH does not.
Family Tree Maker is the only program which offers a "Sync" which comes with various problems, Renaming is always a manual user action. I use Family Tree Builder in conjunction with MyHeritage and it works with some caveats. I have detailed my working below.

It's really up to those online services we pay so much for to make that imagery easily available imo, after all we have paid for the privilege. My Heritage does do this for Individual photos (people) but not easily for Source Citation documentary images, I say not easily as it's easier in Family Historian.

To get those valuable documents attached open MyHeritage in a browser or Web Search window within Family Historian. Log into your MyHeritage account and navigate to the image you want.

Click on the top right of their thumbnail to go Full Screen.

myheritage-full-screen.png
myheritage-full-screen.png (37.99 KiB) Viewed 2128 times

Now right click on the image and select Copy Image.

myheritage-copy.png
myheritage-copy.png (111.02 KiB) Viewed 2128 times

In Family Historian move to where you wish to attach the image, Select Add Media followed by Paste Copied Image. You will be given some options including the option to name the file to your own standard.

myheritage-source-paste.png
myheritage-source-paste.png (14.11 KiB) Viewed 2128 times

That's it really, job done and much easier than messing about in Family Tree Builder.

I'm sure you are aware that depending on how much you interact in MyHeritage your list of Places are likely to be pretty messed up. Places are really important and if you care to keep them tidy then I would suggest cleaning these in a side project before merging with your main data file.

There are more Media related videos available by clicking the link in my signature below.

Jackson
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jackson, I suspect Olivier knows how to import Media manually one by one, but that is just not very convenient when importing an entire Project where 100's or 1000's of Media are involved.
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

Mike,

Surprisingly a lot of users don't so I thought it would be a useful reference.

I get a lot of questions on the subject behind my YouTube channel and I just sent a soft copy to FHUZG for distribution.

Whilst it may not specifically help Oliver I would it may help someone. Source media does not automatically come down into Family Tree Builder, just individual media.

I would hope I am missing something but I'm sure you know MyHeritage differs from Ancestry brought down via RM Treeshare in this respect.
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

Thank you all for your answers.

I am sorry I did not respond earlier.

(I am aware of how I can copy individual media from MyHeritage or FTB, and I am looking for a generic solution. )

The fact is that the MH gedcom exports nearly all media links, while the FTB gedcom does not.

I know 3 programs that retrieve the MH media via URL and from a MH gedcom: MFT, Gramps (with an add-on) and
The Complete Genealogy Builder.

The one that actually suits my needs best is TCGB. But it keeps the extremely long media names from MH (in fact the full url path).

MFT gives an excellent result by retrieving the original names , but recalculates the INDI ID's while I need the original INDI iD's to reimport my data in TNG.
Genealogica Grafica, TCGB and My Family Tree to view & check my data. And Genopro for its layered reports.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Can you create an FH Project from a GEDCOM exported from TCGB?
Then in FH use the Search and Replace plugin to adjust the Media file links and filenames.

Alternatively, I think the following might work.

Create an FH Project from the MyHeritage exported GEDCOM which has the desired Individual Record Id.

Create an FH Project from an MFT exported GEDCOM which has all the desired Media.

You may have to perform some tidying of those two Projects to remove unwanted tags, etc.

From the MyHeritage derived Project use File > Merge/Compare File... to merge the MFT derived Project GEDCOM.
That will synchronise on the Individual and other record details but retain the MyHeritage derived Record Id.
On the Merge dialogue Media tab, ensure that the MFT derived Media replace the MyHeritage derived Media.
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

Thank you Mike,

I can create an FH project from a MH gedcom exported through TCGB
( It works perfectly)
And apparently it retrieves the correct filenames.
What i would love is to find a way to save the media files that TCBG created from the MH URL, with a very long name, and to copy them under a shorter name, based on the TITL tag or the _PHOT_RIN_MH tag.
I don't think that can be done with the "Search and Replace" plugin. At least I did not find a way to do that.

And I will try the second solution you propose , using the merge and compare function to compare the MFT Gedcom with the MH gedcom. Only issue is the size of my data >13.000. I will let you know

________
Today I reinstalled The Master Genealogist, and after so many years, this program works like a charm, even on actual gedcom outputs. But I am even more impressed by the output and options of FH.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Try the attached Rename Selected Media Files plugin Version 1.2.1 Date 26 Feb 2022 that renames selected Media files to match the Title of the Media record excluding symbols not allowed in file names.

Ensure you have suitable backups of both your Project and Media files just in case the changes are unsatisfactory.

Even using Edit > Undo Plugin Updates will not reverse the filename changes.
Last edited by tatewise on 02 Feb 2024 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted - contact Mike Tate if needed
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

Thank you Mike, I will try it out.
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

tatewise wrote: 20 Oct 2023 10:33 Try the attached Rename Selected Media Files plugin that renames selected Media files to match the Title of the Media record excluding symbols not allowed in file names.

Ensure you have suitable backups of both your Project and Media files just in case the changes are unsatisfactory.

Even using Edit > Undo Plugin Updates will not reverse the filename changes.
Hello Mike,

I will try the media rename plugin you sent me.
I have about 1000 media files in different directories (with subdirectories matching the TNG subdirectories) and about 40 in the FH project Media directory.
How to you recommend to proceed ?
First transfer all media files to the project Media file, and then rename the (very long) existing names ?
Or rename them and let them in their existing directories ?
(And, additional question:will I still be able to upload them easily to TNG )

Thank you for your advice
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't think it matters how your files are organised just run the Rename Selected Media Files plugin.

Then start a new topic regarding exporting to TNG in the Exporting forum because that objective does impact where you keep your Media.
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

Thank you,

I ran the plugin, wioth no result at all .
I thought this plugin would rename the media files I select according to I-do-not-know -which-algorithm, reducing files with names like this (downloaded from myheritage) : :-)

U3ZDg0MTcxZjFhMjQ0ZmY1OTNmNGI1OGYzMjlkOTQ3NmU5ZDM2ODIyOGU3MGQzYjlmZTAmZT0xNjk3OTU4MDAw_024_768_4651_500138_471979z511f6bb362r1x67_A.jpg

But it doesn't .

Is it because I did something wrong or because i misunderstood the purpose of the plugin ?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have to admit that I've adopted this plugin from other authors and it is not yet very user-friendly.

Before using the plugin, select Media records via the FH Records Window - Media tab, otherwise it does nothing.
I suggest you start with just one or two Media records.

The Media record Title is used to define the File filename.
So if the Media record Title is as long as your example filename then nothing will change.

A screenshot of the Media record with that long filename you wish to rename would be useful.
Try to expand the Property Box of the Media record so all the field values are visible as much as possible.
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

Thank you Mike, but I am afraid the plugin won't make it:

Here is an example of a filename:

[O6043] <file: C:\Users\..\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\essai FH vers TNG\essai FH vers TNG.fh_data\Media\E1NjE2NDMxY2MwM2RmMTA2MzUxMjlhYzBjNjdkZTllOGU2Y2UyODM3YWUyMGIyMzA1ODYmZT0xNjk3OTU4MDAw_024_768_4651_500419_0874866w690lb97sdid121_A.jpg>
File: C:\Users\olivi\OneDrive\Documents\Family Historian Projects\essai FH vers TNG\essai FH vers TNG.fh_data\Media\E1NjE2NDMxY2MwM2RmMTA2MzUxMjlhYzBjNjdkZTllOGU2Y2UyODM3YWUyMGIyMzA1ODYmZT0xNjk3OTU4MDAw_024_768_4651_500419_0874866w690lb97sdid121_A.jpg
Format: jpg
Keywords: Picture
FORM: JPG
TITL: francine guide
TYPE: PHOTO
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, but you need to explain why "the plugin won't make it".

It should change that File to: ...\Media\francine guide.jpg so it matches the Media record Title.
Jean001
Famous

Post by Jean001 »

I regularly use an older version of Rename Selected Media Files that I have adapted to my requirements (just some particular text gets added to all the file names).

I have tried the version given here. It has the addition of a box offering Record Id and Substitute symbol items. All is working correctly for me.

It does not work unless 'Full Backup created' is ticked. I see the help text explaining the requirement. Perhaps that is not being ticked.
Jean
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

tatewise wrote: 14 Nov 2023 00:12 Sorry, but you need to explain why "the plugin won't make it".

It should change that File to: ...\Media\francine guide.jpg so it matches the Media record Title.
You are right, there is no reason it would not work. But I tried everything.

Here is the detail view of the media record. Could the blinking yellow dot before the TITL field indicate something is wrong?
image.png
image.png (10.97 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Maybe the file names are too long to be processed ?

Anyway, this is the result I get for this specific file. The back-up check box is checked.
image.png
image.png (40.69 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The problem is the yellow starred items which are Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF), i.e. Invalid GEDCOM fields.
So the Media record has no Title for the plugin to use.

An important task when importing a new Project is to clean-up the 'junk' imported data.
The FHUG Knowledge Base advice on Importing to Family Historian provides links to clean-up techniques such as Handling Uncategorised Data Fields which must be used to ensure all FH features (such as plugins) work correctly.

The problem in this Media UDF case is that the FORM and TITL tags should be subsidiary to the FILE tag and the TYPE tag is invalid GEDCOM. It may need a custom plugin or perhaps a GEDCOM file edit to correct them.
Alternatively, review the GEDCOM export options from the original product, which looks like it may be using GEDCOM 5.5 Media formats but the Header says it is using the GEDCOM 5.5.1 specification.
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

Thank you Mike.

I was unaware of this UDF issue. It is also very complex for me to redo the import/merge/correct process from Myheritage. Would it be possible for me to write a plugin that modifies the gedcom to make the TITL tag subordinated to the FILE tag or are advanced slkills necessary ?
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

I always post modify MH Gedcom imports for various reasons.

Whilst it's an expanded search and replace Mike is probably the most qualified to recommend the best way forward for your needs. He is also very familiar with the Plugins available having written many of them so a packaged solution might already be out there.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Writing plugins is quite an advanced skill so I am happy to write one for you.

The requirement is to move the TITL and FORM UDF to be valid subsidiary fields of the File field.

I've decided to move the TYPE UDF to the Custom Id field as there is no equivalent GEDCOM field
The Custom Id can easily be bulk deleted by hand if you don't want it.

Try the attached Move Media UDF to Valid Fields plugin Version 0.1 Date 14 Nov 2023.

If it does not do what you expect then use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates immediately before closing FH.
Also, the saved Snapshot can be used to restore the Project GEDCOM.
Last edited by tatewise on 02 Feb 2024 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted - contact Mike Tate if needed
OlivierM
Famous

Post by OlivierM »

tatewise wrote: 14 Nov 2023 17:35 Writing plugins is quite an advanced skill so I am happy to write one for you.

The requirement is to move the TITL and FORM UDF to be valid subsidiary fields of the File field.

I've decided to move the TYPE UDF to the Custom Id field as there is no equivalent GEDCOM field
The Custom Id can easily be bulk deleted by hand if you don't want it.

Try the attached Move Media UDF to Valid Fields plugin Version 0.1 Date 14 Nov 2023.

If it does not do what you expect then use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates immediately before closing FH.
Also, the saved Snapshot can be used to restore the Project GEDCOM.
You are a magician, Mike !

Your plugin works like a charm.

Suddenly all my mediafiles become readable: the long file names have vanished and are replaced by the name in the title tag, everywhere.

Two quesions :

- the files are not visible anymore. I noticed that their format name has changed to JPG. If I Replace JPG by jpg they are visible again. I guess I should replace all the "JPG" by "jpg" in one go with "search and replace". Do you confirm ?

- I notice now I have many duplicate title names, but that is not a problem for now, as long as I do not run the "rename selected media files " plugin on the whole set , which I did not: How does this plugin handle different media files with identical title names ?

Thank you so much !
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

- the files are not visible anymore...
It must be more than just the upper case JPG which should work OK.
There must be some space or other characters involved.
One option is to revert your Project to its pre-plugin state and I will fix the plugin.
Alternatively, you can use the Search and Replace plugin but it must search for more than just JPG and must focus on just the Media Format field otherwise other fields may get corrupted.
Do you need advice on how to set the plugin options?

- I notice now I have many duplicate title names...
The plugin will detect the problem and will not rename files with duplicate filenames.
It will say "Media file rename failed" and leave the Media record and filename unaltered.
So you need to ensure all Media Titles are unique before running the plugin.
Please run the Check for Possible Duplicated Media plugin attached to viewtopic.php?p=113053#p113053 to check if any of your URL derived files are actually duplicates and the Media records can be merged.