* Converting research notes to shared notes

Questions about the facilities for planning and tracking your research within FH
natashahouseman
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Converting research notes to shared notes

Post by natashahouseman »

Hi
In a follow up to my note on recording research analysis and conclusions, I have realised that I will likely often go from a research log to a shared analysis note. The log being work in progress, the shared note capturing a complete conclusion (which ideally incorporates the research). Is it possible to convert a research note to a shared note or is it a case of copying and pasting?
Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Converting research notes to shared notes

Post by tatewise »

When you perform the conversion will you want all the links to the Research Note to be retained for the Shared Note?

If so then simply using Copy & Paste from the Research Note to the Shared Note will not do that.

You need a custom Plugin to find all the links to the chosen Research Note, copy its text to a new Shared Note and create all the links, before deleting the Research Note record which automatically deletes its links.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
natashahouseman
Diamond

Post by natashahouseman »

Ugh, i hadn't though about that. Mostly it's the links within the research note to various sources rather than back from the sources/individuals to the note. But i've just realised they don't copy over each so it's manually re-linking both ways (or as you say, using a plug-in, although that might take me nearly as long!).
I am presuming there isn't just a way of converting a research note to a shared note? I'd understood that research notes were in effect a modified shared note and therefore i was thinking i could maybe just unmodify it? That is probably a bit too simplistic!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Each Research Note internally has the coding 0 @E9@ _RNOT where the 9 is its Record Id.
Each link to the same Research Note is coded 1 _RNOT @E9@

Each Shared Note internally has the coding 0 @N8@ NOTE where the 8 is its Record Id.
Each link to the same Shared Note is coded 1 NOTE @N8@

When you create a Shared Note it will almost certainly have a different Record Id than the Research Note.
So quite a lot has to change to maintain the links in addition to copying the contents of the note.

I would be tempted to offer to write the plugin for you but I'm away on holiday next week without a PC.
Some other plugin authors may offer or you can wait until I return.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry