* Trouble moving Win 7 TMG backup to FH on Win 11

Questions about Installing FH, Migrating FH to another PC, and upgrading FH
susan.bellinger
Family Historian: V7

Trouble moving Win 7 TMG backup to FH on Win 11

Post by susan.bellinger »

Hi,
I don't have much technical knowledge. I have TMG v.9.05 installed on a Window 7 desktop. I have backed it up on a thumb drive but it's on an E drive since my old computer has D drive for disks.
I couldn't download FH7 on the desktop since FH7 not supported on win 7.
I have a laptop with Windows 11 and that's where my new FH7 is. Windows 11 does not have an E drive and can't recognize my thumb drive.
I have backed up my TMG on OneDrive also but can't figure out how to put it as a new project on FH7.
I have tried to download TMGv9.05 on my laptop and have the serial number but for some reason it won't load.
I'm sure there is some easy way to do what I want but my lack of techie skills is not helping. I've spent hours on this with no luck.
Susan
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Trouble moving Win 7 TMG backup to FH on Win 11

Post by tatewise »

Hi Susan. Welcome to the FHUG.

Your primary objective is not entirely clear. Do you simply want to import your TMG data into FH7?
If so, you may not need to install TMG on Windows 11.
However, some users find it useful to adjust the data in TMG to make it easier to import into FH7.

Install TMG
On your Windows 7 desktop, you should have one of the following two download files that need copying to the laptop:
tmg9setup.exe TMG Version 9.0.3.US
tmg905uksetup.exe TMG Version 9.0.5 UK
If not, then go to the FHUG Knowledge Base > Importing to Family Historian and open the Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) section where those downloads are provided which you can download directly to your laptop.
Once on your Windows 11 laptop, right-click the downloaded .exe file and choose Properties then on the General tab click the Unblock button followed by the OK button.
After that, right-click the downloaded .exe file again and choose Run as administrator to install TMG which should allow you to unlock the full version with your serial number.

Migrate Backup via OneDrive
On the Windows 7 desktop, you have set up OneDrive with a Microsoft Account email address & password.
In your OneDrive folder the TMG backup file should exist with a green circle & white tick icon to show it has been uploaded to the OneDrive cloud store.
On the Windows 11 laptop, you must set up OneDrive in exactly the same way using the same Microsoft Account email address & password.
Then the TMG backup file should appear in the OneDrive folder on the laptop.

Let me know how you get on or if you have any questions.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry