* Returning to person in FH

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
Johnwrosser
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Returning to person in FH

Post by Johnwrosser »

Tis a pity that AS when completed doesn't return us to the researched person in FH. I find that if I'm using AS to research a person beginning with Z I have to go back to A and go down the list to find the person again? With 32000 people its a long way!
laz_gen
Famous

Re: Returning to person in FH

Post by laz_gen »

I am pretty sure my FH returns to the same person.

Do you have the Preferences > Startup option set for "Display the last-used Focus Person in the Focus Window"
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Johnwrosser wrote: 03 Sep 2023 12:46 Tis a pity that AS when completed doesn't return us to the researched person in FH. I find that if I'm using AS to research a person beginning with Z I have to go back to A and go down the list to find the person again? With 32000 people its a long way!
Type Z into the search name box?
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
neil40
Superstar

Post by neil40 »

Are we talking about AS or FH though?

The title is FH but John refers to AS in his query.

I believe laz_gen is referring to FH and John ‘probably’ AS

I can’t see how AS could know what you are researching and about to add details of.
It’s easy enough to type the surname, forename to jump to what you want in AS though.
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
laz_gen
Famous

Post by laz_gen »

Perhaps I did mis-read the question.

When I return to AS after a save operation the name list has reset to the top. However, the last individuals ID is still present in the top right "Find ID" box of AS so can be used to quickly return to the last person you were working on.

Place the cursor to the end of the ID, delete the last digit, then re-enter that same digit. The list will re-activate with the last used individual highlighted.

Generally I find it a lot quicker to locate individuals in AS by typing their ID number into the "Find ID" box than by searching for them by name.
Johnwrosser
Famous

Post by Johnwrosser »

I didn't have ' Preferences > Startup option set for "Display the last-used Focus Person in the Focus Window" but I have now. Thank you.
mezentia
Superstar

Post by mezentia »

As I rarely use the focus window, returning to the records window with last used filter applied and the person last updated selected would be a real and time-saving boon, and an additional and amazing bonus would be to display the chart I was working from too :)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'last used filter' but if the Records Window has its Individuals tab sorted Descending by the Updated column, then the last updated Individual records will appear at the top of the Records Window list after closing AS and reloading FH.

Unfortunately, currently open windows in FH (such as a Diagram) are not retained after reloading, but is a Wish List request.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry