* Standardized Place Names

Questions about managing place and address information, and using maps and geocoding
dwhopper@rogers.com
Family Historian: V7

Standardized Place Names

Post by dwhopper@rogers.com »

TMG refugee. Trying to sort out some things before I fully commit.

In the place box how do I enter information in the Standardized box. If I enter text iot is erased more or less as fast as I can type.

image.png
image.png (31.78 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
Jim Byram
Platinum

Re: Standardized Place Names

Post by Jim Byram »

David,

Use: Tools / Work with data / Places

Select a place, click [Edit], and enter the standardized place in the appropriate field.

Jim
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

dwhopper@rogers.com wrote: 28 Jul 2023 00:41
In the place box how do I enter information in the Standardized box. If I enter text iot is erased more or less as fast as I can type.
How did you get to the window in your screenshot? If you went to the Places tab in the Records window and selected a place there, you should be able to enter into the Standardized field.

I notice you have two Standardized fields in the screen shot. I don't have two, so I'm guessing you added the lower one. Can you enter anything into that field? If I add a second Standardized field at the bottom like you have, I can enter into either of them and the other gets populated with what I type.

Maybe another member of the group will have some ideas into why you are unable to type anything in the field and make it stay.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is a customised tab in the Property Box.
Please show us the Property Box Customization settings you have used to define those two Standardized boxes.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I would try removing one of the fields. It is possible the interface it is getting multiple event triggers.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
dwhopper@rogers.com

Post by dwhopper@rogers.com »

Map, Map all places, then select a place.

But Jim's idea about Working with data, Places is much simpler.
Jim Byram
Platinum

Post by Jim Byram »

David,

The default place record / place / edit screen 'Standardized' field works fine.

As suggested above, you need to remove the extra non-standard 'Standardized' field at the bottom of the screen (your screenshot above).

Sorry. I didn't notice the extra field when I first looked at your post.

Jim
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

dwhopper@rogers.com wrote: 28 Jul 2023 15:51 Map, Map all places, then select a place.
That appears to just open the same property box as using Records LIst > Places tab then select a place.

I am able to enter into the Standardized place field fine even if I have added a second one like you have. Seems like something is wrong with your property box definition.

As Mike requested, please show us the Property Box Customization settings you have used to define those two Standardized boxes.

Bill
Bill Henshaw
Jim Byram
Platinum

Post by Jim Byram »

I told David how to 'uncustomize' the Places / Edit property box.

He says that he didn't add the second Customized field.

Regarding the property box reached from the Maps option. If I type anything into the Standardized field, it is immediately erased as though I hit the Backspace key. (type xxx, then spontaniously... xx, x, nothing)

Maybe David needs to uninstall FH7, delete the settings (since the settings are contaminated), and reinstall?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jim Byram wrote: 28 Jul 2023 18:40 Regarding the property box reached from the Maps option. If I type anything into the Standardized field, it is immediately erased as though I hit the Backspace key. (type xxx, then spontaniously... xx, x, nothing)

Maybe David needs to uninstall FH7, delete the settings (since the settings are contaminated), and reinstall?
Jim, if you have that problem typing into the Standardized field then perhaps you need to reinstall FH V7 too.
That is certainly not normal behaviour.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jim Byram
Platinum

Post by Jim Byram »

Mike,

I'll just note that I can enter data into the Standardized field of the place record with no problem.

I checked the Place property box file (PB-_PLAC.fhdata) and it is default and fine.

I have FH v7.0.21 installed and have experienced no problems with the installation.

Update... Apparently, the problem entering data data into the Standardized field from the Map / Map all places view is auto geocoding going on in the background (David's observation). Testing confirms this.

Jim