* West Surrey Users

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Kivlehan
Family Historian: None

West Surrey Users

Post by Kivlehan »

Hi, I am wondering if any local users to me might be prepared to come over for a cuppa and help me get hands on help. I am a long term user but am a techno-phob. I have put off for many years :-
a) Tidying up my records which have a number of duplicates because I cannot follow the merge instructions and be confident that I will not mess up.
b) Not being sure my back ups are ok.
c) Failing to successfully copy/export my gedcom to a memory stick to give to my brother a full copy of my records and attached sources/media.

Is there anyone who might be prepared to give me some time in exchange for lunch or tea and biscuits? I am local to Woking. Many thanks, Karen
laz_gen
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Re: West Surrey Users

Post by laz_gen »

If you don't get any help locally then maybe you would consider joining a Zoom group that was set up just for Family Historian users.

You can see and hear others explain their problems and see the help they receive. Screens are shared and users are guided through their problems.

I am sure someone will be able to help you.

Visit https://fhuzg.uk/ for more information
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

We live about an hour's drive from Woking.

Are you using a Windows PC? If so, I could probably help you.
Possibly this could be done over the phone.

First I would tell you that you need to copy all your fh folders so you are not working with your main files, but using copies.

I am myself not a great believer in merging projects. I run six different projects , four cover each of my and my husbands grand parents, plus another two, for our two sons in law. If I want to combine any two of them to make an ancestral tree for us or for any of our grandchildren, or to upload to ancestry, I may create a separate combined (merged) database for that purpose.
However prior to FH, I bought and still use the software Tree draw. This can import several gedcoms which one can select and combine into one tree.

However, combinng your projects may ot be necessary? if you have separate un merged fh projects, you can put them all on a memory stick. There is no need just to send one gedcom, particularly if it might cause you problems.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Kivlehan, welcome to your first posting in FHUG.

We regularly help users solve quite difficult issues. However, it requires a focusing on one topic at a time rather than trying to solve everything at once.

The first thing we need to know is the FH version you are using because your Profile on the right says None.
So click on your username Kivlehan top right and navigate to Profile and Edit Profile.
Select your Family Historian version then scroll down and click SUBMIT.

Those are typical of the kind of simple steps we provide to sort out FH issues.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

The best method would be for someone to help you live online by sharing screens on Zoom or Skype. Quick simple and very effective.
Trevor Rix
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

We have a fairly active FH users group within the local family history society that meet on Zoom once a month, mostly to deal with basic newbie questions.

It works well as a complement to this forum for those who prefer to be shown how rather than working from written guidance, but the big disadvantage of all these Zoom based groups is collating the information for the benefit of other people. Even if the sessions are recorded, finding that golden nugget in a 90 minute video is a challenge.
Mark Draper