* [Already Implemented] Enhance right click context menu in 'How Related' diagrams

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
neil40
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

[Already Implemented] Enhance right click context menu in 'How Related' diagrams

Post by neil40 »

When using the How Related Diagram, it would be very useful to have the Diagram > Family Connection Mapper...' menu item available as a right click context menu item, as it is entirely relevant to that diagram, and not entirely obvious that it is used for line colours etc. in this Diagram
Neil Grantham
Researching Grantham, Skuce, Barrow and Birchall
fhtess65
Megastar

Re: Enhance right click context menu in 'How Related' diagrams

Post by fhtess65 »

Thanks for bringing this up here. I would definitely vote for this request if it gets added to the Wish List :)

neil40 wrote: 15 Mar 2023 16:02 When using the How Related Diagram, it would be very useful to have the Diagram > Family Connection Mapper...' menu item available as a right click context menu item, as it is entirely relevant to that diagram, and not entirely obvious that it is used for line colours etc. in this Diagram
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Is anyone who knows something about diagrams willing to knock this into shape for the Wish List? It hasn't had a lot of discussion, but doesn't seem controversial.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I wouldn’t raise any objection but to be honest I’m not convinced this is a necessary enhancement. You don’t need to go via Diagram > Family Connection Mapper. At present when you view any diagram (not just a How Related diagram) the Family Connection Mapper icon appears in the main toolbar near the right hand end. (On a small screen where the toolbar is split into two rows it is in the second row, just above the diagram.) Opening it involves just one click. If it were included in the Diagram right-click menu it would require two clicks – one to open the menu and one to open the mapper.

The Family Connection Mapper icon sits in the toolbar alongside icons for various other diagram operations: Expansion Buttons, Page Boundaries, Zoom in/out, Fit, Movement Control Box, Select and add Shapes. This seems entirely sensible. Would you want them all added to the right-click context menu? Why pick out just one?

The emphasis of the request seems to be the need to make it clear that the Mapper tool is relevant to changing the line colours in a How Related diagram. I don’t think adding it to the context menu would make it any clearer, as the user has already found and used the tool to create the How Related diagram in the first place.
Lorna
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I knew it needed somebody who was better at diagrams than me to weigh in!

Now you've pointed that out, I agree -- no benefit in putting it on the right click menu as well.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

If you open the Tools on top of FH the firdt item states 'how related' this will tell you your family connection. If there is no connection it will say so

Victor
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I'm closing this as it duplicates functionality that already exists.