* CPs thoughts on the Wish List

Please only post suggestions and requests for help on using this web site here.

For help with FAMILY HISTORIAN itself please post in the Using Family Historian - General Usage Forum above.
Woodg
Famous
Family Historian: V7

CPs thoughts on the Wish List

Post by Woodg »

Hi All,

I see a lot of updates on Wish List requests today. Always a good thing, I think. But it does remind me to ask something about the Wish List. I noticed that out of the 9 pages of uncompleted items more than 6 pages of them were added over 10 years ago, some over 14 years ago. As many are dated 08/08/06 I assume these came from a previous list, so they might be well over 14-year-old requests. I can see why some old requests still exist, such as FH for Apple Mac (193) - not exactly an easy task. But other items such as Automatic Reverse Column Sorting (200) should (famous last words) be straightforward and is the way most (all?) other Windows programs operate, yet hasn't been implemented.

I can see that about 20 pages of requests are marked as completed, so CP must at least look at the list, but do they take it seriously? No, I'm not having a go at CP, I genuinely want to know what they think of the Wish list.

Glenn
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: CPs thoughts on the Wish List

Post by davidf »

Well reviewing the Wish List has to be easier than following our discussions on the Forum!

Plus when the system works we will know that items on the list have some level of agreement about detail - discussed on the Wish List Request sub-forum - either having arisen directly from a user wish or idea or emerged from more general discussion.

I think that is one reason for the current Blitz
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
Woodg
Famous

Post by Woodg »

davidf wrote: 15 Dec 2022 08:27 Well reviewing the Wish List has to be easier than following our discussions on the Forum!
Ain't that the truth! I've been trying to follow all the Wish List posts, and am OK with most of them. But the posts about Fonts and plain vs rich text has been doing my head in.

Glenn
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

It's the agreed mechanism for evaluating user requirements and feeding back to CP, but it is fair comment that a large number of very old outstanding requests doesn't give a good impression. Ideally, it would be a two way process, and include at least a summary CP response (yes/no/maybe), but that would mean sharing development intentions on a public forum, which few software companies do.
Mark Draper
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Best answer is probably at the bottom of this post: PLEASE READ before adding new requests (22853)
I do of course understand why you ask, but I'm afraid we don't give out that kind of information. I can say that at any give time, we are always working hard on the next release and are doing so now; and that when deciding what goes into any given release, we always look carefully at the Wish List and try to respond to it. Whether or not a feature gets included though is not just a question of how many votes it may get. We also have to take into account how much time and effort it will require to implement, and how well it fits in with other things we want to do.

Simon Orde
List Administrator & Family Historian designer
fhtess65
Megastar

Post by fhtess65 »

Thank goodness - I thought it was just me!!!

T
davidf wrote: 15 Dec 2022 08:27 Well reviewing the Wish List has to be easier than following our discussions on the Forum!
---
Teresa Basińska Eckford
Librarian & family historian
http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
Researching: Spong, Ferdinando, Taylor, Lawley, Sinkins, Montgomery; Basiński, Hilferding, Ratowski, Paszkiewicz
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 15 Dec 2022 10:02 Best answer is probably here: Calico Pie  - Wish List Policy (6175)
When I click on the link in Helen's post, it results in a "The requested topic does not exist" message. When I do a search for the topic, nothing is returned. Do any of the administrators know if it has been deleted or is there a problem?

Thanks
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I think the comment from Simon at Calico Pie that this post referred to is now part of the New Wish List forum's post: PLEASE READ before adding new requests, towards the bottom.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
ADC65
Superstar

Post by ADC65 »

Thank you Nick, that's helpful.
Adrian Cook
Researching Cook, Summers, Phipps and Bradford, mainly in Wales and the South West of England