* Internal FindMyPast Links Broken

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
cjdenbow
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Internal FindMyPast Links Broken

Post by cjdenbow »

For the last two days every time that I click on a hint link to FMP I get an error message. See below. I wonder if anyone else has been experiencing this behavior. Links to MyHeritage.com from hints are still working fine. I'm tryiing to access FMP from the USA. Thanks for any help you can give me. -- Carl
FMP Error Message.PNG
FMP Error Message.PNG (22.67 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Carl Jón Denbow, Ph.D., Director of Communication Emeritus, Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, Athens, Ohio https://www.denbowtree.org My avatar is the battle flag of the 78th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the U.S. Civil War.
JonC
Silver

Re: Internal FindMyPast Links Broken

Post by JonC »

I have been experiencing the same issues with Family Historian trying to access FMP for several days. I am trying to access the site from the UK and receive the same error message.

There is no problem when I accesss FMP through an external web browser.
Jon
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

I have had that response from the FindMyPast website erratically. I think the website gets rather busy at times.
cjdenbow
Diamond

Post by cjdenbow »

Thanks for the reponses, folks. For the record, it's still not working today. I also have had this experience in the past, but it's always been short-lived In those cases, if I come back in an hour or so, it'll be working again. It's now been the better part of a week that it's been broken. I bought a subscription to FMP primarily because of its interface with FH. I'm not a happy FMP camper at this juncture!
Carl Jón Denbow, Ph.D., Director of Communication Emeritus, Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, Athens, Ohio https://www.denbowtree.org My avatar is the battle flag of the 78th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the U.S. Civil War.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Have you tried changing the option within FH to have the links open in an external browser rather than the internal FH one?. Not saying this is the answer, but it might give you an idea where the problem lies (and, until you get resolution, would allow you carry on using the links).
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Brent,
Error 500 is for unexplained problems encountered in the distant server, i.e. at FMP end.
I don’t think there is anything you can do at your end to solve the problem.
As has been said before, most probably FMP overloaded!
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Agreed, but given others, myself included, are not seeing this problem (I've been using hints for quite a few hours on each of the last few days via external browser), I thought it worth suggesting.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Are you all using the same FMP servers?
Remember there are several: findmypast.com in USA, and findmypast.co.uk in UK, and others in Ireland and Australia.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

One thing to try is to close FH and then go to

Code: Select all

C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\
and delete the folder

Code: Select all

FH-WebView2
The error is at the FMP past end, but it's possible something has been cached which is confusing the process.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are a great many files and sub-folders within that C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\FH-WebView2 folder.
Do they all get automatically recreated as required?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It only contains cache and cookies, so it is no different from clearing your browser cache. Opening the web window will recreate it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
markvs

Post by markvs »

I have had the same problem for the past few days.

I followed the suggestion and shutdown Family Historian and deleted the Calico Pie folder (this was over 5000 items).

Family Historian will not now launch.!

Suggestions?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Mark, restore the deleted folder from your Recycle Bin.

Jane, this is what is inside my FH-WebView2 folder and appears to be much more than a cache and cookies.
However, it does appear to all get recreated when using FH next time.

FH-WebView2.png
FH-WebView2.png (80.93 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
JonC
Silver

Post by JonC »

I followed Jane's advice and deleted the EBWebView folder. This has worked for me, I am now able to view FMP hints and the error 500 message is no longer appearing.

Thank you Jane!
Jon
tanglewood
Silver

Post by tanglewood »

Hi.

I've got the 'Whoops 500' as well and have tried Jane's solution a number of times without continued success. I get linked for about one hour then 'whoops here we go again'. Not being IT savvy, I'm reluctant to delve too far but have tried deleting caches etc in Google, which made no difference. I've also contacted FamHist but have yet to get a reply. Coincidentally I've just switched to Windows 11 and wonder if this might be affecting things?

I've also contacted FamHist with regard to my subscription having received an email saying I get 20% off if I renew now, which is confusing because my account states that when I renew in December my loyalty discount will be applied. Any thoughts as to how I should approach this as the offer ends on Monday?

Thanks for your time.

Tony G
DownSouthDrew
Silver

Post by DownSouthDrew »

Been having the same "Error 500" problems for the past couple of days.
I found that rejecting the hints worked fine but trying to view them caused the issue.
Read Jane's post, did what was suggested and hey-presto, all is back to normal.

Thank you Jane, all your advice is much appreciated.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

tanglewood wrote: 29 Oct 2022 09:58 I've also contacted FamHist with regard to my subscription having received an email saying I get 20% off if I renew now, which is confusing because my account states that when I renew in December my loyalty discount will be applied. Any thoughts as to how I should approach this as the offer ends on Monday?
Are you talking about your FindMyPast subscription rather than Family Historian?
See the New FindMyPast Premium Subscription (21043) thread or start a new thread as it is nothing to do with this topic.
tanglewood
Silver

Post by tanglewood »

Yes sorry Mike, got carried away with the frustration over '500'.

TG
Roberto
Gold

Post by Roberto »

Same problem over last couple of days . Did the "Jane delete folder" fix and all is well in the world again. Thanks Jane.

Cheers
Robert
OAP78

Post by OAP78 »

Did the "Jane delete folder" suggestion and it worked ok, thanks Jane.
On a reboot of my computer the problem had returned, any suggestions would be very welcome.
spt53

Post by spt53 »

I have the same problem. Thought I'd solved it by the 'delete folder' suggestion but after a short time it returns. Any more suggestions - it's very frustrating
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

'500' Errors indicate a problem at the Website Server end, so there is unlikely to be anything site users can do, other than report the error and wait for the Site Engineers to resolve whatever the issue is at their end.

See below snipped from Facebook which seems to date back a couple of days.
Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 20.32.48.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 20.32.48.jpg (174.71 KiB) Viewed 1978 times

When there are problems with Ancestry.co.uk site I can usually log in to one of their other international sites, e.g. Ancestry.com, but I'm not sure if that approach would work with FindMyPast's international sites.
OAP78

Post by OAP78 »

Following my initial success with Janes suggestion followed by the problem reoccurring after a reboot, I wondered where it could be picking a possibly corrupt file from. I deleted all my backup files and didn't back up on exit.
Tried FH with hints and it works perfectly after a couple of reboots.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

OAP78 wrote: 31 Oct 2022 12:08 ... I deleted all my backup files and didn't back up on exit.
Tried FH with hints and it works perfectly after a couple of reboots.
I strongly recommend that you start making backups again! The fact that the hints started to work again after you had deleted all your backups is probably coincidence.

I have sometimes seen the 'Woops' message when using FMP to search directly, without FH running at all. It seems likely that the problem is at the FMP end and we just have to wait for them to sort it out. This is confirmed by the Facebook message mjashby showed in his post.
Lorna
Jean001
Famous

Post by Jean001 »

I use FMP directly (i.e. without FH) and since last week I have repeatedly had the message, always when trying to access an image. For a while during a session of research all is as normal but after the first occurrence transcriptions remain accessible but not images.
Jean