* link to KB Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources

A place for completed suggestions/corrections.

Moderator: kb admin

jimlad68
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

link to KB Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources

Post by jimlad68 »

While discussing this topic Simple recording of sources and/or citations (20966)
I mentioned this very useful KnowledgeBase article:
Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources

From the Knowledge Base "home" at https://fhug.org.uk/kb/ the only link seems to be via https://fhug.org.uk/kb/topic/entering-d ... itations/# Sources and Citations

But I can see no link from the more prominent:
[] Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users)
- but there were many references to Generic Sources, although I am not sure that V6 (Simple) Style Sources is necessarily the same as Generic Sources?
But no link to Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources
[] And Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders)
- similar to above for new users.

So, my suggestion is to add to the already excellent existing Knowledge Base articles a prominent link to Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources
From both Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users)
and Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders)

This is of course my desire to keep things simple for those FH users who get confused with the potential intricacies of sources and citations etc, or see no need for them.

P.S. the automated "link creator" in the blue bar gives this

Code: Select all

[url=https://fhug.org.uk/kb/?p=9455]Add More People to a Diagram (Video Tutorial)[/url]
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: link to KB Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

In Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders) the sentence of the introduction links (via the word customisations) to Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources.

Do New Users (the expected audience of Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users)) really need advice on making FH look like a version they've never used?

I think the title of Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources could be improved for consistency though -- any suggestions?
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Helen, I think the docs details are generally great:

[] Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources perhaps change to
Creating more Simple and Quicker Style Sources (more similar to versions prior to FHv7)

[] As stated in various posts on this topic, the new v7 sources can be offputting (they certainly are to me and I am a long time user of various genealogy software), so I think simpler alternatives should be highlighted so as not to put off potential and existing/upgrading users.
So I would still think it important to provide an upfront link to Customising V7 to use V6 (Simple) Style Sources (or new name) to both Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users)
and Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders)

Any Source is better than no source.

But that is just my view
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Jim,

I agree that New Users should be made aware of the options to use either Generic or Templated Sources.

I'm still not sure that they need "guidance on configuring ƒh7 to look and behave as closely as possible to ƒh6 when working with Generic Sources" when they will never have used V6.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Helen, no problem, I just like to offer a "simple/quick" option. I'm sure your understanding of pre v7 and Generic Sources is much better than mine. I'm still not sure if they are the same thing!!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

jimlad68 wrote: 09 Oct 2022 14:36 Helen, no problem, I just like to offer a "simple/quick" option. I'm sure your understanding of pre v7 and Generic Sources is much better than mine. I'm still not sure if they are the same thing!!
They are the same thing, Jim.

I still want to improve that title though -- maybe just change Simple to Generic?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I think it's important not to conflate two issues:

1. You can use V7 with generic-only sources. New users need to be aware of that. But it's perfectly possible to use generic-only sources in V7 without any customisation, and that should be made clear.

2. You can make the V7 Property Box for generic sources (and top half of the Citation window, which didn't exist in V6) look more like the Source Property Box in V6. As Helen says, the article is really intended for people who were familiar with V6 and want to make V7 look similar. (Having customised mine to more closely resemble V6 I can't remember now what the V7 defaults looked like but I know they were different.)

So the title of the article probably needs to refer to the V6 style Property box for sources, rather than V6 sources per se. (But I'm struggling to come up with a concise title!)
Lorna
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Strangely, I feel apologetic for bringing simple sources up again!
ColeValleyGirl wrote: 09 Oct 2022 14:43 They are the same thing, Jim.
Thanks for that clarification, I feel a little easier talking about it now! Indeed it supports the idea of a title suggesting a Customising method more pertinent.
ColeValleyGirl wrote: 09 Oct 2022 14:43 I still want to improve that title though -- maybe just change Simple to Generic?
next try
Creating Generic Style Sources (Simpler) in a manner more similar to versions prior to FHv7
To me that now gives what I think is the correct terminology (Generic) but emphasising Simpler.

I don't want to be too pedantic about this, or create extra work, but it makes me think that, from my own confusion, some references to Generic Sources should perhaps be amended to Simpler Generic Sources e.g. at
Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users)
> Two Types of Sources in Family Historian 7 >
FH7 supports two types of sources: Sources created using Source Templates, and Generic Sources
to
the Simpler Generic Sources
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

jimlad68 wrote: 09 Oct 2022 18:15 next try
Creating Generic Style Sources (Simpler) in a manner more similar to versions prior to FHv7
To me that now gives what I think is the correct terminology (Generic) but emphasising Simpler.
I think you are still conflating two issues (see my previous post).
It's perfectly possible to create Generic sources in V7 without any customisation. Perhaps that's what needs emphasising.

The article is just about making the source Property box (and simultaneously the top half of new Citation window) for Generic sources look more like it did in V6. That's not relevant to new users.
Lorna
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Lorna, yes I appreciate your "conflating two issues" point as I now appreciate that "pre v7 and Generic Sources" are the same thing. Hence my point:
.. some references to Generic Sources should perhaps be amended to Simpler Generic Sources...
to show there is a simpler way to add sources.

So perhaps we need to stay with something more similar to the original but to remove confusion by showing it is Generic. e.g.
Customising V7 to use V6 (Simpler Generic) Style Source Entry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

But I think that still makes it sound as if the customisation is necessary in order to use Generic sources. It's not.
Lorna
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Customising V7 Display for Generic Sources?

Jim, i dont believe either method of entering sources is simpler than the other. If you're used to generic sources you might find them simple although they're hard to use in a structured and consistent way except at the very highest level. If you're moving to fh from a product that had templates already, then templates will seem simpler once you've mastered the differences from your old product. And if you're a newcomer to genealogy, then templates will give you useful guidance and get you going with sources quicker rather than staring at the really unhelpful generic structure which might put you off sources altogether.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

LornaCraig wrote: 09 Oct 2022 19:03 But I think that still makes it sound as if the customisation is necessary in order to use Generic sources. It's not.
Mmm I see what you are saying, I suppose even the original Simple implies that. I am trying to remove the confusion (previously in my mind) that Generic may be different to V6 (Simple) when it is not.

Lorna, Helen.
Having made all these points, the text in the article is excellent and so perhaps even remove Simple, but I would still think adding a prominent link from both Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users) and Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders) would be helpful. Apart from anything else it is a good guide example to customising the Source Property Box.

OK another try:
Customising V7 to use V6 Style Source Entry (alternative for Generic Sources)
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Maybe just add a bit to Helen's suggestion:
Customising V7 display for Generic Sources to resemble V6 display.

This makes it clear that it's just the display that is being customised and shows that it might be of interest to users who were familiar with V6, without suggesting that the customisation is necessary.
Lorna
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

LornaCraig wrote: 09 Oct 2022 21:16 Maybe just add a bit to Helen's suggestion:
Customising V7 display for Generic Sources to resemble V6 display.

This makes it clear that it's just the display that is being customised and shows that it might be of interest to users who were familiar with V6, without suggesting that the customisation is necessary.
Nicely more succinct, and still removes the confusion that Generic may be different to V6 (Simple).
One of the first things I did with FHv7 was to customise mine, not specifically to make it like v6, but to match my method of Source display/record. Indeed, v7 made it more flexible.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I've changed the title to Customising V7 Display for Generic Sources to Resemble V6, which makes it clearer what the article is about.

As already mentioned, there's a link to it in the second sentence of Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for Upgraders):
There are changes to the interface but a few customisations can restore a similar ‘look and feel’.
and two existing links to it from Sources and Citations in Version 7 (for New Users) in the section on creating and using citations:
You may wish to customise the Citation main tab to include Text from Source or Notes for quick access.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Looking Good, more of a discussion than I expected, but I have certainly learnt something.