* On Hold until 21 Feb 2025: Table auto-sizing

For Wish List Requests that need more work before they can be progressed to the Wish List, because after 3 months, discussions have not arrived at a clear specification of the requirement such that one or more Wish List items can be raised. Items On Hold that are not subsequently refined to a state suitable for the Wish List within a year by the OP or other interested parties will be closed. If the OP feels unable to progress the request, they should ask for volunteers among other interested users to assist.
jelv
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Table auto-sizing

Post by jelv »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 20 Nov 2023 17:29
jelv wrote: 20 Nov 2023 15:48
Perhaps the best start would be a new topic in the Maintaining the Knowledge Base board to get a bullet list of what we think should be in such an article?
Sounds good.
I've started the suggested discussion: viewtopic.php?t=22487
John Elvin
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Neither of the Wish List entries that Helen referenced specifically mention anything like this AutoFit request.
They seem to be focused on coping with already tidy tables that are too wide to fit on a report page.

Whereas, AutoFit automatically increases or reduces the width of each column to accommodate the cell contents.
Typically that is where an imported table has columns that are not well adjusted for the contents.
Alternatively, where several cell contents are edited to add or remove text, AutoFit avoids manually adjusting the width of multiple columns.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 22 Nov 2023 18:26 Neither of the Wish List entries that Helen referenced specifically mention anything like this AutoFit request.
They seem to be focused on coping with already tidy tables that are too wide to fit on a report page.
Except for this bit... which is the first post in the first request I linked to.
peterbel wrote: 04 Jul 2021 10:45 Would it be possible for the templates tables to have the option to 'Shrink to Fit' ?
Removing excess column width and unfilled rows.
Is this discussion a duplicate?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, the Rich Text Wide Table Templates (19589) discussion morphed into a request that only applies to Report pages and not the Project database table.

Whereas this thread focuses on data imported or pasted from outside FH into a table so the cell content is untidy.
It also applies where cell content is edited to increase or reduce the text and the columns need realignment.
The proposed AutoFit affects the table in the database not just in Reports.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike,

I didn't think this thread was focussing on that use case, rather that it was an example of where the facility would be useful. I can't imagine anyone coding it to test whether the table was created by cut and paste before enabling the 'AutoWhatever' button... It would be equally applicable to tables in Autotext where the actual data entered was a mismatch to the table column sizes.

What's a Project database table?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, AutoFit is intended to apply to Project database tables (i.e. Rich Text Tables) under any circumstances, not just tables appearing in Report pages. They are two different requirements.

I see this AutoFit requirement as a tidying function where, as you say, there is a mismatch between cell text and column widths. The overall width of the table is not of prime significance. The tidying permanently adjusts the layout of the table.

Whereas, Wish List Fit Rich-Text tables to report page only applies to adjusting the width of tables appearing in Report pages. They are only temporary width adjustments for the presentation of the tables in Reports. It says nothing about permanently tidying column widths that mismatch cell text in the underlying Project database Rich Text Tables.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

tatewise wrote: 23 Nov 2023 11:45 Wish List Fit Rich-Text tables to report page only applies to adjusting the width of tables appearing in Report pages. They are only temporary width adjustments for the presentation of the tables in Reports. It says nothing about permanently tidying column widths that mismatch cell text in the underlying Project database Rich Text Tables.
Maybe it should have done... my mistake back then, I fear.

Is it likely that somebody will want to 'fix' the tables in a report only, or would for viewing online and in a report (and only do it once, rather than in multiple reports)? I don't know.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, only fixing tables to fit on a page in a Report is highly likely. It may involve adjustments that users would probably not want to be applied permanently to the Project database Rich Text Tables.
e.g.
Making columns narrower than their cell text and causing the text to wrap.
Splitting the table at a column and displaying the sections under each other.
Making the cell text font smaller.

Anyway, the adjustments would differ according to the page width (A3, A4, A5, Portrait, Landscape) as specified in the Wish List entry. That is another reason for not applying the adjustments to the database Rich Text Table.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Does anyone feel able to turn this into a specific proposal suitable for the Wish List?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

As this isn't progressing, I'm putting it On Hold.