* Exclude a line

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
TMG_refugee
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Exclude a line

Post by TMG_refugee »

I have had conversations with my brother and he would prefer not to have any information about him or his family available to anyone. I want to honor this but I don't see how in FH7.

On a chart I can hide lines with a click or hide from the menu. But that must be done every time and it does not affect reports. I have looked at the private flag but that seems to work on facts only. The living flag would be too broad.

Can I set something in FH so that his line will disappear from all charts and report?
E Wilcock
Megastar

Re: Exclude a line

Post by E Wilcock »

You can flag a person as Private.
Or as Living.
The help file explains the effect.
Within events and notes I thought two square brackets at either end of the name or text served for privacy. Jane uses them in her GedMatch DNA system.
TMG_refugee
Famous

Post by TMG_refugee »

Thank you. It took me awhile to find where to set these flags but I worked it out and it appears to work very well.Thank you
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

There is of course the option not to enter any details of him or his descendants - that will ensure that nothing accidentally gets "made available" to anyone.

What do you lose by not putting him into FH? If you are not going to show him in any output, why have him in the input.

Too many of us seem to think that "all facts must be curated". Sometimes, we need to ask "why?".
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)