* FH7 web site creation - new folder

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
dewilkinson
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

FH7 web site creation - new folder

Post by dewilkinson »

I updated my website this morning and everything seemed to work, but the files didn't seem to get updated. I then discovered that FH7 now writes the files to a different folder and they look fine to me. Just in case this helps anyone the image shows the previous and new folders.
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
tatewise
Megastar

Re: FH7 web site creation - new folder

Post by tatewise »

Thank you David, although there is some new Help on this feature it does not identify the full new path.

You seem to have two Packages named Family Tree CD or DVD and website.

There is also a Copy button that could copy a Package to your old Public folder path.

If you want to customise your HTML pages with custom images and CSS files, etc, then CP advise creating a sub-folder starting with an underscore, e.g. ...\Packages\website\_custom\
Whenever the Package is Rebuilt such sub-folders are retained so your customisations are not destroyed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

I never added either the website or the Family Tree CD or DVD folders. I noticed the copy and export options but haven't tried them (yet).
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The website Package is the one created by default as soon as you use the Publish > Websites & Family Tree CD/DVD... wizard, rather like the default Family Historian Sample Project.
I have no idea where the Family Tree CD or DVD folder has come from unless it is automatically created when you install FH V7 over FH V6 that has such a Public folder.
The _custom folder concept was introduced during beta testing.
Andy63
Gold

Post by Andy63 »

I don't know why they didn't just leave the selection of the folder like before and as a default the one they suggest. Strange, I don't see the logic behind that move, even the space of the select box is still there. I wonder if it's not something they just forgot...
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The new Packages allow for easier management of multiple versions of websites and CD/DVD family trees.
In FH V6 you had to organise the Public folders for multiple versions and there were only two saved settings.
You can always Copy a Package to your Public folder.